Generic Name and Formulations:
Lorazepam 0.5mg, 1mg+, 2mg+; tabs; +scored.
Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc
Indications for ATIVAN:
Give in 2 or 3 divided doses, with largest dose taken at bedtime. Individualize. Initially 2–3mg daily; range: 1–10mg daily. Elderly or debilitated: initially 1–2mg daily; adjust gradually if needed.
Acute narrow-angle glaucoma.
Risks from concomitant use with opioids; see Interactions. Therapy for >4 months. Discontinue if paradoxical reactions occur. Primary depressive disorder or psychosis: not recommended. Suicidal tendencies (monitor). Renal or hepatic impairment. Compromised respiratory function. Seizure disorder. Reevaluate periodically. Monitor blood counts, liver function with long-term use. Abuse potential (monitor). Drug or alcohol abuse. Avoid abrupt cessation. Change dose gradually. Elderly. Debilitated. Pregnancy (during the 1st trimester), nursing mothers: not recommended.
Increased sedation, respiratory depression, coma, and death with concomitant opioids; reserve use in those for whom alternative treatment options are inadequate; if needed, limit dosages/durations to minimum and monitor. Potentiation of CNS depression with alcohol, other CNS depressants (eg, barbiturates, antipsychotics, sedatives/hypnotics, anxiolytics, others). Caution with clozapine. May be potentiated by probenecid or valproate (reduce lorazepam dose by 50%). May be antagonized by theophylline, aminophylline.
CNS depression (esp. sedation), dizziness, weakness, unsteadiness, transient memory impairment, confusion, disorientation, nausea, change in appetite, headache, sleep apnea.
Tabs—100, 500, 1000
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Mortality Rates for Substance Use Disorders, Intentional Injuries Vary Widely By Country
- Facial Emotion Recognition Differentiates Behavioral Variant Frontotemporal Dementia From MDD
- The Challenge of Helping Uninsured Patients While Protecting Practice Finances
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed