Generic Name and Formulations:
Risedronate (as sodium) 35mg; delayed-release tabs.
Indications for ATELVIA:
Treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis.
Limitations Of use:
Optimal duration of use has not been determined. For patients at low-risk for fracture, consider drug discontinuation after 3–5yrs.
Swallow whole; take in the AM with a full glass (4oz) plain (not mineral) water immediately after breakfast; take in upright position; do not lie down for at least 30min afterwards. 35mg once weekly.
Esophagus abnormalities which delay esophageal emptying (eg, stricture, achalasia). Inability to stand or sit upright for at least 30min. Hypocalcemia.
Active upper GI disease; discontinue and reevaluate if signs/symptoms of esophageal reaction occur. Severe renal impairment (CrCl <30mL/min): not recommended. Correct preexisting hypocalcemia, other mineral or bone disturbances before starting. Ensure adequate Vit. D and calcium intake. Risk of osteonecrosis of the jaw; consider discontinuing therapy during invasive dental procedures (eg, tooth extraction, implants, surgery). History of bisphosphonate exposure: evaluate for atypical fractures if thigh/groin pain develops; consider withholding therapy until risk/benefit assessment. Reevaluate periodically. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Concomitant H2-blockers, PPIs, or other risedronate-containing products (eg, Actonel): not recommended. Calcium or magnesium-based supplements, antacids, laxatives, or iron preparations reduce absorption (separate dosing). Caution with aspirin, NSAIDs, other GI irritants. May interfere with bone-imaging agents.
Diarrhea, influenza, arthralgia, back pain, abdominal pain; atypical femur fractures, esophageal reactions, hypocalcemia; rare: jaw osteonecrosis, hypersensitivity (eg, angioedema, Stevens-Johnson), eye inflammation.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Elevated Dopamine Synthesis Capacity Observed in Both Bipolar and Schizophrenia
- SSRI Use Associated With Increased Type 2 Diabetes Risk in Young Adults
- Specialty Physicians Experiencing Lack of Income Growth
- Improved Patient-Provider Communication Needed Following Urgent Care Visits
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV