ASMANEX HFA Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Mometasone furoate 100mcg, 200mcg; per actuation; metered-dose inhaler with dose counter.
Merck & Co., Inc.
Indications for ASMANEX HFA:
Maintenance treatment of asthma as prophylactic therapy.
Limitations Of use:
Not for relief of acute bronchospasm.
Previously on inhaled medium-dose corticosteroids: use 100mcg strength. Previously on inhaled high-dose or oral corticosteroids (wean gradually): use 200mcg strength. For both: Two inhalations twice daily (AM & PM). Rinse mouth after use.
Primary treatment of status asthmaticus or acute asthma attacks.
Maintain regular regimen. Prescribe a short-acting, inhaled β2-agonist for acute symptoms; monitor for increased need. Re-evaluate immediately during rapidly deteriorating asthma; may need oral corticosteroid therapy. Immunosuppressed. Untreated infections (eg, fungal, bacterial, viral, parasitic), TB, ocular herpes simplex. If exposed to chickenpox or measles, consider anti-infective prophylactic therapy. Transferring from systemic steroids: taper gradually. If adrenal insufficiency exists following systemic corticosteroids, replacement with inhaled steroids may exacerbate symptoms of adrenal insufficiency (eg, lassitude). Monitor for increased intraocular pressure, glaucoma, and/or cataracts; bone mineral density if other osteoporosis risk factors exist; and for growth suppression in children; hypercorticism and HPA axis suppression (if occurs, discontinue gradually). Severe hepatic impairment. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiated by ketoconazole or other strong CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ritonavir, atazanavir, clarithromycin, indinavir, itraconazole, nefazodone, nelfinavir, saquinavir, telithromycin); use caution.
Nasopharyngitis, headache, sinusitis, bronchitis, influenza; hypersensitivity reactions, paradoxical bronchospasm; discontinue if occurs.
Inhaler—13g (120 inh)
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Retirement Saving Behavior Associated With Psychological Distress
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Enhanced Vaccination Effectiveness in Older Adults Linked to Positive Mood
- Subjective Cognitive Decline Linked to Alzheimer Biomarker
- Unnecessary Costs Associated With Low-Cost, Low-Value Health Services
- Is Hypertension Linked to an Increased Risk of Dementia?