ASCOMP w. CODEINE CIII
Generic Name and Formulations:
Codeine phosphate 30mg, butalbital 50mg, aspirin 325mg, caffeine 40mg; caps.
Breckenridge Pharmaceutical, Inc.
Indications for ASCOMP w. CODEINE:
Tension (or muscle contraction) headache.
1–2 caps every 4 hours, as needed; max 6 caps/day. Use lowest effective dose for shortest period of time.
NSAID allergy. Porphyria. Bleeding or coagulation disorders. Peptic ulcer.
Renal or hepatic impairment; monitor liver/renal function tests. Acute abdomen. Asthma. Bleeding disorders. Head injury. Increased intracranial pressure. Impaired thyroid or adrenocortical function. GI or GU obstruction. Ultra-rapid metabolizers of codeine (may experience overdose symptoms). Drug abusers. Elderly. Debilitated. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
CNS effects may be enhanced by MAOIs. Concomitant corticosteroids: withdrawal of corticosteroid may result in salicylism. May potentiate oral anticoagulants, oral antidiabetics and insulin, 6-mercaptopurine and methotrexate, NSAIDs, other narcotic analgesics, alcohol, general anesthetics, tranquilizers, sedative-hypnotics, other CNS depressants. May diminish effects of uricosuric agents.
Opioid + barbiturate + salicylate + stimulant.
Drowsiness, dizziness, intoxicated feeling, GI upset/pain.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders