ARMOUR THYROID Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Thyroid 15mg (¼ grain), 30mg (½ grain), 60mg (1 grain), 90mg (1 + ½ grain), 120mg (2 grains), 180mg (3 grains)+, 240mg (4 grains), 300mg (5 grains)+; tabs; +scored. Each grain of thyroid contains liothyronine (T3) 9mcg and levothyroxine (T4) 38mcg.
Indications for ARMOUR THYROID:
Hypothyroidism: initially 30mg daily (long-standing myxedema: initially 15mg daily); increase by 15mg every 2–3 weeks; usual maintenance: 60–120mg daily. Myxedema coma: see literature.
Hypothyroidism: <6months: 4.8–6mg/kg daily. 6–12months: 3.6–4.8mg/kg daily; 1–5yrs: 3–3.6mg/kg daily; 6–12yrs: 2.4–3mg/kg daily; ≥12yrs: 1.2–1.8mg/kg daily.
Uncorrected adrenocortical insufficiency. Untreated thyrotoxicosis.
Not for treatment of obesity. Cardiovascular disease, angina, elderly: use lower initial dose. Adrenocortical insufficiency. Monitor for craniosynostosis in infants. Pregnancy (Cat.A). Nursing mothers.
T3 and T4 (porcine derived).
Monitor oral anticoagulants, hypoglycemics. Estrogens affect thyroid function tests. Toxicity with large doses of sympathomimetics (e.g., anorectics).
Hyperthyroidism, transient hair loss in children.
Tabs 15mg, 90mg, 240mg, 300mg—100; 30mg, 120mg, 180mg—100, 1000; 60mg—100, 1000, 5000
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age