Generic Name and Formulations:
Donepezil HCl 5mg, 10mg, 23mg; tabs.
Indications for ARICEPT:
Tabs: Swallow whole with water. ODT: dissolve on tongue, follow with water. Mild-to-moderate: Initially 5mg daily at bedtime, may increase to max 10mg daily after 4–6 weeks; usual dose: 5mg or 10mg once daily. Moderate-to-severe: initially 5mg daily at bedtime, may increase to 10mg daily after 4–6 weeks; may further increase to max 23mg daily after 3 months; usual dose: 10mg or 23mg once daily.
Cardiac conduction conditions. Peptic ulcer. Monitor for GI bleeding. Seizures. Asthma or COPD. GU obstruction. Body weight <55kg. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Reversible acetylcholinesterase inhibitor (piperidine deriv).
Drugs that affect CYP2D6 and CYP3A4 may affect rate of elimination. Antagonizes anticholinergics. May potentiate succinylcholine-type muscle relaxants, other cholinesterase inhibitors, cholinergic agonists (eg, bethanecol). Concomitant NSAIDs may increase risk of GI bleed.
Nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, insomnia, muscle cramps, fatigue, anorexia, weight loss (esp. using 23mg/day dose).
Tabs 5mg, 10mg—30, 90, 1000; 23mg—30, 90; ODT—30
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Prazosin May Be Effective as Treatment for Alcohol Use Disorder
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age