Generic Name and Formulations:
Argatroban 100mg/mL; soln for IV infusion after dilution.
Indications for ARGATROBAN:
Prophylaxis and treatment of thrombosis in heparin-induced thrombocytopenia (HIT) or in those with or at risk of HIT undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI).
HIT: discontinue heparin and obtain baseline aPTT. Initially 2 mcg/kg/min by continuous IV infusion; check aPTT 2hrs after starting; titrate to 1.5–3x baseline aPTT (max 100seconds); max 10 mcg/kg/min. PCI: initially 25 mcg/kg/min by IV infusion, and 350mcg/kg bolus by large bore IV line over 3–5mins; titrate based on activated clotting time (ACT) to therapeutic ACT of 300–450seconds. For both: hepatic impairment: reduce dose (see full labeling). Conversion to oral anticoagulants: see full labeling.
Increased bleeding risk (eg, severe hypertension, recent lumbar puncture, spinal anesthesia, major surgery, bleeding disorders, GI lesions). Hepatic impairment. PCI: avoid high doses in significant hepatic disease or AST/ALT ≥3x ULN. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Increased risk of bleeding with thrombolytics, warfarin, heparin, antiplatelets, GP IIb/IIIa blockers.
Bleeding, dyspnea, hypotension, fever, diarrhea, sepsis, cardiac arrest, chest pain, back pain, nausea, vomiting, headache.
Single-use vial (2.5mL)—1
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Prevalence of Major Depressive Disorder Remains High In US Population
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Suicide Risk After Self-Harm Among Adolescents, Young Adults
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Safety, Efficacy of Deep Brain Stimulation for Alzheimer Disease Examined
- Many Teens Who Use Tobacco Don't Self-Identify as Users