Generic Name and Formulations:
Argatroban 100mg/mL; soln for IV infusion after dilution.
Indications for ARGATROBAN:
Prophylaxis and treatment of thrombosis in heparin-induced thrombocytopenia (HIT) or in those with or at risk of HIT undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI).
HIT: discontinue heparin and obtain baseline aPTT. Initially 2 mcg/kg/min by continuous IV infusion; check aPTT 2hrs after starting; titrate to 1.5–3x baseline aPTT (max 100seconds); max 10 mcg/kg/min. PCI: initially 25 mcg/kg/min by IV infusion, and 350mcg/kg bolus by large bore IV line over 3–5mins; titrate based on activated clotting time (ACT) to therapeutic ACT of 300–450seconds. For both: hepatic impairment: reduce dose (see full labeling). Conversion to oral anticoagulants: see full labeling.
Increased bleeding risk (eg, severe hypertension, recent lumbar puncture, spinal anesthesia, major surgery, bleeding disorders, GI lesions). Hepatic impairment. PCI: avoid high doses in significant hepatic disease or AST/ALT ≥3x ULN. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Increased risk of bleeding with thrombolytics, warfarin, heparin, antiplatelets, GP IIb/IIIa blockers.
Bleeding, dyspnea, hypotension, fever, diarrhea, sepsis, cardiac arrest, chest pain, back pain, nausea, vomiting, headache.
Single-use vial (2.5mL)—1
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Duration of Untreated Depression Predicts Depression Severity
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Elevated Dopamine Synthesis Capacity Observed in Both Bipolar and Schizophrenia
- SSRI Use Associated With Increased Type 2 Diabetes Risk in Young Adults
- Specialty Physicians Experiencing Lack of Income Growth
- Improved Patient-Provider Communication Needed Following Urgent Care Visits
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV