Generic Name and Formulations:
Rilonacept 220mg; per vial; pwd for SC inj after reconstitution; preservative-free.
Indications for ARCALYST:
Cryopyrin-associated periodic syndromes (CAPS) including familial cold autoinflammatory syndrome (FCAS) and Muckle-Wells syndrome (MWS).
Give by SC inj into abdomen, thigh, or upper arm; rotate sites. ≥18yrs: Loading dose: 320mg on day 1 (split dose into 2x160mg at different sites), then 160mg as single dose once weekly.
Give by SC inj into abdomen, thigh, or upper arm; rotate sites. <12yrs: not recommended. 12–17yrs: Loading dose: 4.4mg/kg (max 320mg) in 1 or 2 inj (max 2mL/inj) on day 1; may split loading dose into 2 inj at different sites. Maintenance: 2.2mg/kg (max 160mg) once weekly.
Discontinue if serious infection develops. Do not start treatment with active or chronic infection. Before starting therapy: complete recommended immunization schedules (including pneumococcal and influenza), and evaluate and treat possible latent tuberculosis. Asthma. Diabetes. HIV, hep B, or hep C infection. Renal or hepatic impairment. Monitor lipid profile. Patients <18yrs: monitor growth and development. Pregnancy (Cat.C): not recommended (may cause fetal harm). Nursing mothers.
Avoid concurrent live vaccines. Infection risk with concomitant TNF blockers (eg etanercept, infliximab, adalimumab) or other IL-1 blockers (eg, anakinra): not recommended. Monitor drugs that affect or are affected by CYP450 (eg, warfarin). Caution with other immunosuppressants (eg, corticosteroids).
Interleukin-1 (IL-1) blocker.
Inj site reactions, infections (eg, URI; may be serious/fatal); possible increased risk of malignancies, antibody formation, changes in lipid profile.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder