Generic Name and Formulations:
Rilonacept 220mg; per vial; pwd for SC inj after reconstitution; preservative-free.
Indications for ARCALYST:
Cryopyrin-associated periodic syndromes (CAPS) including familial cold autoinflammatory syndrome (FCAS) and Muckle-Wells syndrome (MWS).
Give by SC inj into abdomen, thigh, or upper arm; rotate sites. ≥18yrs: Loading dose: 320mg on day 1 (split dose into 2x160mg at different sites), then 160mg as single dose once weekly.
Give by SC inj into abdomen, thigh, or upper arm; rotate sites. <12yrs: not recommended. 12–17yrs: Loading dose: 4.4mg/kg (max 320mg) in 1 or 2 inj (max 2mL/inj) on day 1; may split loading dose into 2 inj at different sites. Maintenance: 2.2mg/kg (max 160mg) once weekly.
Discontinue if serious infection develops. Do not start treatment with active or chronic infection. Before starting therapy: complete recommended immunization schedules (including pneumococcal and influenza), and evaluate and treat possible latent tuberculosis. Asthma. Diabetes. HIV, hep B, or hep C infection. Renal or hepatic impairment. Monitor lipid profile. Patients <18yrs: monitor growth and development. Pregnancy (Cat.C): not recommended (may cause fetal harm). Nursing mothers.
Avoid concurrent live vaccines. Infection risk with concomitant TNF blockers (eg etanercept, infliximab, adalimumab) or other IL-1 blockers (eg, anakinra): not recommended. Monitor drugs that affect or are affected by CYP450 (eg, warfarin). Caution with other immunosuppressants (eg, corticosteroids).
Interleukin-1 (IL-1) blocker.
Inj site reactions, infections (eg, URI; may be serious/fatal); possible increased risk of malignancies, antibody formation, changes in lipid profile.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Mortality Rates for Substance Use Disorders, Intentional Injuries Vary Widely By Country
- Facial Emotion Recognition Differentiates Behavioral Variant Frontotemporal Dementia From MDD
- The Challenge of Helping Uninsured Patients While Protecting Practice Finances
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed