APTENSIO XR CII
Generic Name and Formulations:
Methylphenidate HCl 10mg, 15mg, 20mg, 30mg, 40mg, 50mg, 60mg; ext-rel caps.
Indications for APTENSIO XR:
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.
Adults and Children:
Individualize. Swallow whole or may open capsule and sprinkle contents onto applesauce. <6yrs: not established. ≥6yrs: 10mg once daily in the AM. May titrate dose in weekly increments of 10mg/day. Max 60mg/day. Discontinue if no improvement after dose adjustment over a 1-month period.
During or within 14 days of MAOIs.
Abuse potential (monitor). Increased risk of sudden death, stroke, and MI; assess for presence of cardiac disease before initiating. Avoid in known structural cardiac abnormalities, cardiomyopathy, serious arrhythmias, coronary artery disease, and other cardiac problems. Pre-existing psychotic disorder. Bipolar disorder. Screen for risk factors in developing manic episode prior to initiating. Consider discontinuing if new psychotic/manic symptoms occur. Peripheral vasculopathy including Raynaud's phenomenon; monitor for digital changes. Monitor growth (esp. children), BP, HR. Reduce dose or discontinue if paradoxical worsening of symptoms occurs. Write ℞ for smallest practical amount. Reevaluate periodically. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers: monitor infants.
See Contraindications. Hypertensive crisis with concomitant MAOIs. Risk of serotonin syndrome with serotonergic drugs.
Abdominal pain, decreased appetite, headache, insomnia; hypertension, tachycardia, priapism.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder