New technologies and methodological approaches are starting to elucidate the relationship between DNA and complex human behavior.
A direct causal link has been established between marital status and lower risk for development of alcohol use disorder.
Maria Oquendo, MD, president-elect of the American Psychiatric Association, discusses her goals for the association.
Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation Effective for Major Depressive Disorder, Generalized Anxiety DisorderMay 20, 2016
Findings from 2 studies establish transcranial magnetic stimulation as a safe, effective and durable treatment option.
Study provides further evidence for the effects of inflammation on executive function in patients with schizophrenia.
These findings contradict previous data that impulsivity is a risk factor for suicide attempts.
More than 50% of youth with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder will have persistence of the condition into adulthood.
There is a greater risk of OCD in children born to older mothers but not older fathers.
Nearly one-fifth of adolescents will have experienced a major depressive episode by the time they reach adulthood.
Emotional enhancement ability predicts symptom severity of PTSD and depression.
Lower abundance and diversity of microbial populations have been identified in individuals with obsessive compulsive behavior.
Renee Binder, MD, recaps her year as president of the American Psychiatric Association.
Symptoms of PBA were observed in nearly three-quarters of patients with dementia.
People with psychiatric impairment may be capable of making wise and thoughtful decisions about their lives.
Comorbid PTSD and other psychiatric illness has been linked to increased rates of suicidal ideation and substance use disorders.
The increased use of synthetic cannabinoids presents a public health threat.
There is room for improvement in the delivery of culturally competent healthcare.
Strategies are needed to help physicians cope with patient suicide.
Compassion, empathy, and sympathy are necessary for delivery of ethical medical care.
The lifetime prevalence rate for serious suicidal ideation on campuses is on the rise.
This brief sampling illustrates the diversity of content being presented at the annual meeting.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nonsuicidal Self-Injury: Proper Identification and Treatment
- Treatment-Resistant Depression: Intensive Short-Term Dynamic Psychotherapy Vs Treatment As Usual
- Mortality Increased in Patients Recently Discharged From Inpatient Treatment
- Depression, Anxiety Found in Patients With Photophobia
- Increased Risk of Low-Functioning Autism for Children of Migrant Parents
- Bipolar Disorder: QoL Affected by Depression, Irritiability
- Psychosis in Alzheimer's Disease Induced by Female-Specific Gene
- Psychosocial Factors, Risk Behaviors in HIV Improved by Intervention
- Bipolar Disorder Mobile Apps May Not Address Consumer Needs
- Women With Mental Illness Have Lower Cervical Cancer Screening Rates