Generic Name and Formulations:
Dolasetron mesylate 50mg, 100mg; tabs.
Indications for ANZEMET:
Prevention of nausea & vomiting associated with moderately emetogenic cancer chemotherapy, including initial and repeat courses.
≥16yrs: 100mg within 1hr before chemotherapy.
<2yrs: not established. 2–16yrs: Chemotherapy-induced: 1.8mg/kg (max 100mg) within 1hr before chemotherapy; or, may give IV soln and mix 1.8mg/kg (max 100mg) into apple or apple-grape juice and taken orally within 1hr before chemotherapy.
Inj soln administered by IV: Prevention of nausea & vomiting associated with emetogenic cancer chemotherapy, including initial and repeat courses in adults and children.
Increased risk of developing QTc, PR and QRS interval prolongation. Avoid in patients with congenital QT syndrome, hypokalemia, hypomagnesemia, complete heart block or risk of (unless paced). Correct electrolyte imbalances prior to therapy. Monitor ECG periodically. CHF. Bradycardia. Pre-existing conduction abnormalities and underlying structural heart disease. Sick sinus syndrome. Atrial fibrillation with slow ventricular response. Recent MI. Renal impairment. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Selective 5-HT3 receptor antagonist.
Caution with drugs which can prolong ECG intervals (eg, verapamil, flecainide, quinidine), diuretics, and with cumulative high-dose anthracycline therapy. Serotonin syndrome possible with concomitant serotonergic drugs (eg, SSRIs, SNRIs). Potentiated by cimetidine, atenolol (IV dolasetron). Antagonized by rifampin.
Headache, dizziness, pain, fatigue, diarrhea, bradycardia, tachycardia, dyspepsia, chills/shivers, ECG changes, 2nd or 3rd-degree AV block; serotonin syndrome (discontinue if occurs).
Tabs—5; Single-use vials (100mg/5mL)—1; Single-use vials (12.5mg/0.625mL)—6; Multidose vial (500mg/25mL)—1
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Differences in Efficacy and Tolerability of ADHD Medications Across Age Groups
- Rapid Cycling Bipolar Disorder Associated With ADHD and Female Gender
- Associations Between Hypovitaminosis D and Poorer Outcomes in Schizophrenia
- Oxycontin's Maker Now Selling Drug to Curb Opioid Addiction
- Symptom Trajectories Vary According to Language Development in Autism
- Quetiapine Exposure Does Not Appear to Increase Risk for Infant Malformations
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors May Increase Risk for Suboptimal Fetal Growth
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Prenatal Insecticide Exposure in Mother May Be Linked to Risk for Autism in Children