Generic Name and Formulations:
Dolasetron mesylate 50mg, 100mg; tabs.
Indications for ANZEMET:
Prevention of nausea & vomiting associated with moderately emetogenic cancer chemotherapy, including initial and repeat courses.
≥16yrs: 100mg within 1hr before chemotherapy.
<2yrs: not established. 2–16yrs: Chemotherapy-induced: 1.8mg/kg (max 100mg) within 1hr before chemotherapy; or, may give IV soln and mix 1.8mg/kg (max 100mg) into apple or apple-grape juice and taken orally within 1hr before chemotherapy.
Inj soln administered by IV: Prevention of nausea & vomiting associated with emetogenic cancer chemotherapy, including initial and repeat courses in adults and children.
Increased risk of developing QTc, PR and QRS interval prolongation. Avoid in patients with congenital QT syndrome, hypokalemia, hypomagnesemia, complete heart block or risk of (unless paced). Correct electrolyte imbalances prior to therapy. Monitor ECG periodically. CHF. Bradycardia. Pre-existing conduction abnormalities and underlying structural heart disease. Sick sinus syndrome. Atrial fibrillation with slow ventricular response. Recent MI. Renal impairment. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Caution with drugs which can prolong ECG intervals (eg, verapamil, flecainide, quinidine), diuretics, and with cumulative high-dose anthracycline therapy. Serotonin syndrome possible with concomitant serotonergic drugs (eg, SSRIs, SNRIs). Potentiated by cimetidine, atenolol (IV dolasetron). Antagonized by rifampin.
Selective 5-HT3 receptor antagonist.
Headache, dizziness, pain, fatigue, diarrhea, bradycardia, tachycardia, dyspepsia, chills/shivers, ECG changes, 2nd or 3rd-degree AV block; serotonin syndrome (discontinue if occurs).
Tabs—5; Single-use vials (100mg/5mL)—1; Single-use vials (12.5mg/0.625mL)—6; Multidose vial (500mg/25mL)—1
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder