Anxiety Feature Archive
Catastrophizing undermines pain treatment effectiveness and facilitates structural brain changes that serve to maintain pain and distress.
Postpartum PTSD is an area with limited physician knowledge.
Several promising novel treatment options exist for those with OCD.
Menopausal status should be considered when assessing women with anxiety.
Gun violence places a significant burden on the nation's public health and wellbeing.
New tools and therapies are available for the approximately 6 million US adults with panic disorder.
IED has comorbidities, including mood disorders, lifetime prevalence of anxiety disorders, personality disorders, and substance abuse.
An examination of how the treatment of anxiety changes from childhood, to adolescence and into adulthood.
Although depression and anxiety are two of the most common comorbidities in patients with COPD, they are infrequently treated in this population.
Anxious patients suffering from cyberchondria can often be treated through cognitive-behavioral therapy.
Although a recent study indicates that treatment with SSRI antidepressants may help, CBT remains the primary form of therapy.
Attention training teaches patients how to shift their focus away from unhelpful thoughts and feelings.
Cognitive-behavioral therapy should be tried first before adding an antidepressant as part of treatment.
New chapter in DSM-5 covers disorders including antisocial personality, intermittent explosive disorder and kleptomania.
While antipsychotics are useful in some types of anxiety disorders, cognitive-behavioral therapy may be preferable in others.
Treatment consists of cognitive behavioral therapy, family therapy, education, support and medication.
Reflexology uses subtle pressure on specific muscle areas of the feet or hands to stimulate blood flow and nerve impulses that then trigger the release of endorphins and retained toxins.
Medical hypnotherapy today is most commonly used for pain management, treatment of anxiety or psychosomatic illness, and treatment of behavioral disorders.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Effectiveness of Exercise in Decreasing Depressive Symptoms
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Associated With Decreased Educational Attainment
- Dementia Risk Not Associated With Proton Pump Inhibitor Use
- Antidepressant Effectiveness for Depression in Schizophrenia
- Signs Workplace Stress Affects Mental Health
- Nutritional Psychiatry: Emerging Evidence and Expert Interview
- FDA Approval: Once-Monthly Buprenorphine Injection for Opioid Use Disorder
- Posttreatment Brain Effects of Psilocybin in Patients With Treatment-Resistant Depression
- Bipolar Disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder May Represent the Same Disorder
- Borderline Personality Disorder: Not Just an Adult Condition
- Psychosis Treatment Failure More Common in Patients With ASD
- Psychiatric Risk for Female Offspring of World War II Finnish Evacuees
- Making a Decision: Using Conscious vs Unconscious Thinking to Solve the Problem
- Adult ADHD May Negatively Affect Fibromyalgia-Related Morbidity
- Depression Screening Tools Accurate in Post-Acute Coronary Syndrome