Lower diversity of microbial populations in the human gut has been identified in individuals with major depressive disorder.
Social anxiety disorder (SAD), also known as social phobia, is highly prevalent and is associated with a significant functional impairment.
Most research to date has focused on the association between depression and dementia, but not many studies were performed to investigate the link between anxiety and dementia.
Understanding distinct patterns of comorbid substance use may be more relevant to prevention and treatment than focusing on one individual substance.
The investigators examined the relationship between anxiety and cardiovascular mortality, coronary heart disease, stroke, and heart failure.
Bipolar disorder (BD) is typically characterized by recurrent episodes of mania and depression, but the connection between BD and anxiety needs to be considered.
The findings could have important clinical implications in the treatment of patients with arthritis.
Adolescents who experience chronic pain have higher prevalence of anxiety and depressive symptoms in adulthood.
Some of the strategies to improve memory extinction aim at plasticity pathways in the brain with the use of NMDA receptor-modulating drugs, such as D-cycloserine.
The behaviors associated with body dysmorphic disorder diminish quality of life and create tremendous interference.
Meta-analysis indicates Hatha yoga is effective in reducing anxiety.
Conditional deletion of the Cav1.2 gene in the forebrain causes deficits in hippocampal neurogenesis.
Telephone-based peer support helped reduce postpartum depression in many new mothers.
However, getting treatment for anxiety appears to help stop the premature aging process.
Anxiety Disorders, Obsessive-Compulsive and Related Disorders, Trauma- and Stressor-Related Disorders, and Dissociative Disorders in DSM-5May 31, 2014
The new DSM-5 chapter on obsessive-compulsive and related disorders contains some of the most substantial changes in the manual, including two new disorders: hoarding disorder and excoriation.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Addressing Common Nutritional Deficiencies in Autism
- Physical Activity During Midlife Influences Late Life Verbal Memory Performance
- Children With ADHD May Adapt More Poorly To Changes In Positive Reinforcement Patterns
- Functional Role of Adult-Born Neurons in Stress Vulnerability and Resilience
- "Drunkorexia" Linked To Both Eating and Substance Use Disorders
- No Difference Between Omega-3 & Placebo in Patients at Ultrahigh Risk for Psychosis
- Smartphone Questionnaire Effective for Long-Term Monitoring of Mood Instability
- Prolactin-Related Symptoms Decrease with Reduced Risperidone Dosage
- Sport Psychiatry: An Emerging Specialty
- Colonic Diverticular Disease May Increase Risk of Dementia