Overprescription, overuse, and addiction to benzodiazepines is a growing threat in the United States.
Suicide attempts are more likely to occur in younger, socioeconomically disadvantaged adults.
Individual psychotherapy is a recommended treatment for anxiety in children and adolescents with migraine.
Higher anxiety, depression scores for patients are tied to low self-esteem scores.
Providing care for the mental and physical health of people with diabetes will simultaneously improve both outcomes.
Adolescents with CHD have a fivefold increase in rates of anxiety disorders and ADHD compared with healthy control patients.
PTSD, depression, anxiety, and alcohol misuse among UK military personnel is difficult to reduce.
Delays in treatment for psychosis can be associated with poorer outcomes.
Physicians who deem Facebook use compulsive should prescribe taking a 1-week break.
Exercise shows promise for improving self-regulation and classroom functioning among children with complex behavioral health disorders.
Behavioral symptoms strongly linked to suicidal ideation included depression, irritability, aggression, and impulsivity.
There is no evidence that protecting women's mental health concerns should restrict abortion access.
Lower diversity of microbial populations in the human gut has been identified in individuals with major depressive disorder.
Social anxiety disorder (SAD), also known as social phobia, is highly prevalent and is associated with a significant functional impairment.
Most research to date has focused on the association between depression and dementia, but not many studies were performed to investigate the link between anxiety and dementia.
Understanding distinct patterns of comorbid substance use may be more relevant to prevention and treatment than focusing on one individual substance.
The investigators examined the relationship between anxiety and cardiovascular mortality, coronary heart disease, stroke, and heart failure.
Bipolar disorder (BD) is typically characterized by recurrent episodes of mania and depression, but the connection between BD and anxiety needs to be considered.
The findings could have important clinical implications in the treatment of patients with arthritis.
Adolescents who experience chronic pain have higher prevalence of anxiety and depressive symptoms in adulthood.
Some of the strategies to improve memory extinction aim at plasticity pathways in the brain with the use of NMDA receptor-modulating drugs, such as D-cycloserine.
The behaviors associated with body dysmorphic disorder diminish quality of life and create tremendous interference.
Meta-analysis indicates Hatha yoga is effective in reducing anxiety.
Conditional deletion of the Cav1.2 gene in the forebrain causes deficits in hippocampal neurogenesis.
Telephone-based peer support helped reduce postpartum depression in many new mothers.
However, getting treatment for anxiety appears to help stop the premature aging process.
Anxiety Disorders, Obsessive-Compulsive and Related Disorders, Trauma- and Stressor-Related Disorders, and Dissociative Disorders in DSM-5May 31, 2014
The new DSM-5 chapter on obsessive-compulsive and related disorders contains some of the most substantial changes in the manual, including two new disorders: hoarding disorder and excoriation.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Family History of Psychiatric Disorders an Important Predictor of Postpartum Psychiatric Illness
- New APA President Takes Office as the First African-American to Lead the Organization
- MDMA-Assisted Psychotherapy Effective for Treating PTSD in Veterans, First Responders
- Antidepressant Use May Be Linked With Sustained Risk for Weight Gain
- Early Intervention Services Superior to Treatment as Usual for Early-Phase Psychosis
- Video Games and Exercise as Alternative Therapies for ADHD
- How Parents Can Enhance Autism Treatment: Use of Intervention Strategies at Home
- Electroconvulsive Therapy Effective in Children With Autism
- The Cutting Edge of Schizophrenia Research: VR as Treatment for Psychosis
- Cannabidiol Not Associated With Improvement in Chronic Schizophrenia
- New Dimensions in Psychopathy: Are There Cultural Differences in Psychopaths?
- Addressing Psychiatric Comorbidities in Inflammatory Rheumatic Diseases
- Exploring the Link Between Persistent Infection, Inflammation, and Mood Disorders
- CDC: No Change in Level of Uninsured in US in 2017
- Benefit of Behavioral Activation During TMS for Major Depressive Disorder