Generic Name and Formulations:
Fomepizole 1g/mL; soln for IV infusion after dilution; preservative-free.
Jazz Pharmaceuticals plc
Indications for ANTIZOL:
Ethylene glycol or methanol poisoning; or suspected ethylene glycol or methanol ingestion, either alone or in combination with hemodialysis.
Give by slow IV infusion over 30mins. Loading dose of 15mg/kg, followed by 10mg/kg every 12hrs for 4 doses, then 15mg/kg every 12hrs until ethylene glycol or methanol concentration is <20mg/dL and patient is asymptomatic with normal pH. Hemodialysis: see literature.
Allergy to pyrazoles.
Renal or hepatic impairment. Renal failure, significant or worsening metabolic acidosis, or high ethylene glycol or methanol concentrations (≥50mg/dL); consider hemodialysis in addition to fomepizole. Obtain blood gases, pH, electrolytes, liver enzymes, BUN, creatinine, urinalysis, ECG, WBCs frequently during therapy. Monitor serum and urine ethylene glycol concentrations and presence of urinary oxalate crystals; or serum methanol concentrations. Monitor for allergic reactions. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Potentiates or potentiated by ethanol. May affect or be affected by CYP450 inducers/inhibitors (eg, phenytoin, carbamazepine, cimetidine, ketoconazole).
Alcohol dehydrogenase inhibitor.
Headache, nausea, dizziness, drowsiness, bad taste/metallic taste; rare: mild rash, eosinophilia.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder