A chart with daily dose thresholds for antipsychotic medications.
Dopamine-blocking antipsychotics are ineffective right from the onset of illness.
The primary outcome in this study was the change in total quality-of-life scores from baseline to week 24 after patients were randomly assigned to a treatment group.
A comparative dosing and titration chart of commonly used first-generation and second-generation antipsychotics.
The FDA has mandated new warnings to include a list of compulsive behaviors.
A chart outlining the pharmacokinetics of atypical antipsychotics, including information on bioavailability, half-life and CYP 450 metabolism.
For practitioners who are interested in implementing an e-prescribing system, Dr Hurford suggests that they seek feedback from colleagues.
No significant effect was found for preventing or treating delirium during hospitalization with antipsychotic medications.
Those taking atypical antipsychotics also showed a higher risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
70% of severely mentally ill patients on Medicaid were not tested for diabetes, despite having a two to three times greater risk.
Guidelines, however, say that antipsychotics should only be used short term for severe psychotic symptoms and agitation.
Aristada (aripiprazole lauroxil) is injected every four-to-six weeks.
PDP patients treated with antipsychotics were four times as likely to died following three to six months of treatment than those not on the meds.
44% of depressed participants who received the antipsychotic aripiprazole in addition to an antispychotic achieved remission.
Generic versions of oral Invega (paliperidone) are available in 1.5m, 3mg, 6mg, and 9mg strength extended-release tablets.
Dementia patients who were younger, female and lived in nursing homes were most associated with psychotropic polypharmacy.
Rexulti (brexpiprazole), from Otsuka and Lundbeck, is approved as a monotherapy in schizophrenia and an adjunct in patients with major depression.
Almost 60% of people diagnosed with a first episode of psychosis were also smokers.
WHO identifies over 700 adverse event reports from Africa of patients taking what they thought was diazepam but was actually haloperidol.
Patients with late life schizophrenia who had their antipsychotic dose reduced had fewer side effects without sacrificing medication efficacy.
Males were more likely to be given antipsychotics than females, and among young adults given the drugs, depression was most common diagnosis.
Parkinson's patients who took any antipsychotic were more than twice as likely to die within 180 days than those not on one.
Invega Trinza is dosed once every four months following monthly treatment of Invega Sustenna for at least four months.
One psychiatrist is calling on authorities to declassify psychedelic drugs to study their therapeutic potential for mental illnesses.
Patients taking a long-acting injectable antipsychotic had better medication adherence and control of symptoms than peers taking a pill version.
In survey, patients with schizophrenia and psychiatrists both expressed displeasure over efficacy and side effects of current antipsychotics.
PD psychosis is underreported and faces treatment challenges, though a new treatment on the horizon may change that.
A group of psychiatric associations is recommending that behavioral changes and other nonpharmacological interventions be used instead.
However, researchers found no weight gain in children and adolescents who took SSRI and SNRI antidepressants.
An study of people convicted of homicides found that using benzodiazepines was associated with a 45% increased risk of doing so.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Anhedonia and Suicidal Ideation Linked Independent of Major Affective Disorders
- Rarity of Late-Onset ADHD: Symptoms Linked to Other Causes
- Cognitive Insight Impairment May Precede Neurocognitive Decline in Schizophrenia
- Trump Administration Provides the CDC With a List of Banned Words, Phrases
- Expert Perspective: Link Between Depression and Mortality in Cancer Patients
- Amber Lenses Before Bed Improve Insomnia Symptoms
- Pregnancy and Bipolar Disorder: Expert Interview With Leena Mittal, MD
- Cannabis Use in Adolescence May Mediate Future Hypomania
- Lurasidone Monotherapy Safe, Efficacious in Children, Adolescents With Bipolar Depression
- Sleep Disruption May Lead to Increased Beta Amyloid Production
- Examining Duration of Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation Sessions for Depression
- Pretreatment Functioning Associated With Anxiolytic Efficacy of Vortioxetine
- AAN Issues New Guidelines for Treatment of Mild Cognitive Impairment
- Quality Improvement Intervention Improves Documentation of Geriatric Transitions in Care
- Sexual Harassment: Response to a National Crisis