Genetic notes on various pharmacotherapies for psychiatric conditions.
Minocycline has a large antidepressant effect and good tolerability compared with placebo.
Not all prescription drugs have driving impairment warnings.
Early adherence is an especially problematic, significant and modifiable barrier to quality care for depression.
Antidepressant use during pregnancy may be linked to psychiatric disorders in offspring.
Michael Thase, MD, discusses therapy options as well as side effect management for individuals with major depressive disorder.
Clinicians prescribing antidepressants may need to consider augmenting their therapy with another agent.
SSRI use is associated with an increased risk for bleeding.
The best antidepressant for poststroke depression treatment is likely paroxetine.
Intellectual disability might be associated with other factors such as parental age and the mother's psychiatric disorders.
Concomitant SSRI/SNRI use was associated with an increased diabetes risk in AAP-treated young people.
Starting benzodiazepines simultaneously with antidepressants does not seem to influence antidepressant adherence.
Autism in children does not appear to be caused by antidepressant medication taken during pregnancy.
Between-drug differences in efficacy were often greater than the difference between treatments and placebo.
Treatment with CBT and amitriptyline led to greater improvements in youth with chronic migraine.
There has been a sharp rise in the number of American seniors who take 3 or more medications that affect their central nervous system.
There is no conclusive benefit to switching to a new antidepressant during nonresponse.
Elevated cytokine levels could help to identify children who are unlikely to respond to treatment with fluoxetine.
Acute exposure to ethanol led to antidepressant and anxiolytic behaviors in rodents for up to 24 hours.
Effects of fetal exposure are yet to be determined.
Approximately 80% of depressive episodes have their onset during the first six months following traumatic brain injury.
Atrophy of numerous structures within the central nervous system has been observed in persons suffering from depression.
In terms of depressive and negative symptoms, in the present meta-analysis, researchers estimate that 1 in 9 patients with schizophrenia will improve with add-on antidepressants.
The most common off-label uses were for insomnia (10.2%) and pain (6.1%).
A systematic review showed that most antidepressants are ineffective, and sometimes risky, for children and teens.
Antidepressants were found to be more effective with the concomitant use of nutritional supplements.
Having more information on the long-term impact of antidepressants on weight could reduce the risk of weight-related morbidity for a large population of adults with depression.
Neither a specific antidepressant class nor individual drugs had any influence on the risk of stroke or transient ischemic attack over all of follow-up.
The number and timing of follow-up psychotherapy visits may be inadequate to deliver evidence-based psychotherapy.
Many clinicians have a working assumption that subtyping patients is a critical process relevant to antidepressant treatment selection.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Link Identified Between Cured Meat and Mania in Bipolar Disorder
- Suicide Attempts Associated With Sleep and Circadian Rhythm Disturbances in Bipolar Disorder
- First-Episode Delusional Disorder vs Schizophrenia: Assessment of Outcomes
- Early Risk Factors for Bipolar Disorder Found in Offspring of BD Parents
- Probiotics, Depression, and the Role of Inflammation
- The Opioid System: The Foundation for Social Risk and Reward
- Correctional Psychiatry: Challenges and Rewards
- Those Left Behind: Working With Suicide-Bereaved Families
- The Impact of Deafness on Hallucinations and Delusions
- Is Mandatory Reporting of Child Maltreatment in the Best Interests of the Child?
- Nutrition Tips for Physicians: Staying Healthy During Busy Days
- Mental Health Problems in Adolescents With HIV: Overview & Expert Interview
- Should Physicians Play a Role in Minimizing the Societal Cost of Medical Care?
- Digital Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Effective for Individuals With Insomnia
- How Do Medical Scribes Reduce EHR Documentation Burden for Physicians?