Generic Name and Formulations:
Disulfiram 250mg, 500mg; tabs.
Indications for ANTABUSE:
Adjunct in management of chronic alcoholic patients who want to remain sober.
Abstain for at least 12 hrs. Initially 500mg once daily for 1–2 weeks then 250mg once daily; max 500mg daily. Continue until patient develops basis for self-control.
Severe cardiovascular disease. Psychosis. Allergy to thiuram in pesticides and rubber. Concomitant metronidazole, paraldehyde, alcohol-containing products.
Never administer when in a state of alcohol intoxication. Advise family members of alcohol effect. Diabetes. Hypothyroidism. Epilepsy. Cerebral damage. Nephritis. Hepatic cirrhosis or insufficiency. Ethylene dibromide inhalation. Monitor hepatic function, electrolytes, blood, CBCs. Alcohol trial in patients >50yrs: not recommended. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
See Contraindications. Alcohol-like reaction to metronidazole, paraldehyde, alcohol-containing drugs and elixirs, some so-called alcohol-free beverages, tonics, foods, aftershave, back rubs. Potentiates phenytoin, oral anticoagulants, isoniazid.
Optic, peripheral and polyneuritis; peripheral neuropathy, drowsiness, rash, psychosis, hepatitis.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- FDA Approves Schizophrenia Medication With Digital Ingestion Sensor
- Increased Depression Severity Following Childhood Exposure to Adversity, Risk
- Suboptimal Neuromotor Development Related to Genetic Risk for Schizophrenia
- Effectiveness of Sertraline in Depressed Patients With Advanced Chronic Kidney Disease
- Posttreatment Brain Effects of Psilocybin in Patients With Treatment-Resistant Depression
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing Reduces PTSD Symptoms
- Micronutrients Improve Some Symptoms of ADHD
- Long-Acting Injectable Antipsychotics Delay Schizophrenia Relapse
- Transcranial Stimulation Reduces Auditory Hallucinations in Schizophrenia
- Postpartum Anxiety, Depression Reduced by Probiotics
- Tools for Effective Psychiatric Treatment for Pediatric Patients With Hearing Loss
- Decrease in Atypical Antipsychotics in Children Following Peer Review Policy Implementation
- Patient Engagement Increased by Jointly-Produced Medical Note Process
- Borderline Personality Disorder: Not Just an Adult Condition
- Prior Mental Disorders Linked to Subsequent Onset of Chronic Back or Neck Pain