Investigators sought to determine whether both restrictive and purging types of anorexia nervosa effect bone metabolism.
Adolescents who develop anorexia nervosa before the age of 14 have a higher risk of unfavorable outcomes.
As there are no currently approved medical therapies for the treatment of anorexia, further study is necessary to determine the long-term efficacy and safety of a ghrelin agonist.
Females who suffer from anorexia nervosahave lower gut microbial diversity.
For adolescents with anorexia nervosa, telehealth-enabled FBT is effective.
Long-term negative consequences can be associated with anorexia nervosa, and many times patients do not experience remission.
DBS is associated with significant improvements in treatment-refractory anorexia nervosa.
Eating disorders are not confined to adolescence and early adulthood.
Continued symptom improvement and meaningful recovery are possible in anorexia nervosa beyond the first decade of follow-up.
It's the deadliest mental illness. What's being done about it?
Exercise time per day is associated with a higher Eating Disorder Examination (EDE) global score in adults with anorexia.
FDA approval was based on a single clinical trial involving 111 patients, which was funded by the device manufacturer.
Those with eating disorders had higher scores in scales measuring alcohol dependence, alcohol-related problems, and intoxication.
Researchers found that the depression treatment rTMS cut the urges to restrict food in anorexia.
Individuals with anorexia nervosa mainly died from natural causes of the eating disorder.
Mental health conditions, like binge eating disorder and depression, are common among patients undergoing bariatric surgery.
Those who were bullied were almost twice as likely to have symptoms of bulimia compared to those who weren't bullied.
People who suffer from anorexia nervosa use a brain region associated with habitual behavior in making decisions about what to eat.
Elevated aspartate aminotransferase and alanine aminotransferase levels are also linked to lower body mass index.
Significant declines in weight and shape concerns, and dietary restraints were seen in female students after receiving mindfulness training.
Although not officially recognized by the APA, cases of orthorexia are on the rise.
Psychotherapy is useful in treating bulimia and binge eating, while anorexia remains the most difficult eating disorder to tackle.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Should Physicians Treat Family and Friends? Three Experts Weigh In
- Transference in the Age of #MeToo: What Counts as Harassment From a Patient?
- Influence of Psychostimulants on BMI and Height in Youth With ADHD
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy Effective in Reducing Suicide Attempts, Self-Harm in Adolescents
- Medication Adherence Predictors in Patients With Severe Psychiatric Disorders
- Court-Mandated Substance Abuse Treatment: Exploring the Ethics and Efficacy
- ADHD Treatments
- Esketamine Nasal Spray: A New Treatment Possibility for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- Pharmacogenetics in Psychiatry: Promising Developments and Potential Pitfalls
- Substance Abuse and Primary Psychosis: A Closer Look
- Functional Restoration for Chronic Pain and Depression in the Elderly: Pharmacotherapy and Beyond
- Efficacy of Long-Acting Injectable Antipsychotics vs Oral Antipsychotics
- Older Age Associated With Worse Major Depressive Disorder Outcomes
- Preoperative Psychiatric Diagnoses Not Associated With Bariatric Surgery Outcomes
- Medical Clearance of Psych Patients in the ED: Consensus Recommendations