It's the deadliest mental illness. What's being done about it?
Exercise time per day is associated with a higher Eating Disorder Examination (EDE) global score in adults with anorexia.
FDA approval was based on a single clinical trial involving 111 patients, which was funded by the device manufacturer.
Those with eating disorders had higher scores in scales measuring alcohol dependence, alcohol-related problems, and intoxication.
Researchers found that the depression treatment rTMS cut the urges to restrict food in anorexia.
Individuals with anorexia nervosa mainly died from natural causes of the eating disorder.
Mental health conditions, like binge eating disorder and depression, are common among patients undergoing bariatric surgery.
Those who were bullied were almost twice as likely to have symptoms of bulimia compared to those who weren't bullied.
People who suffer from anorexia nervosa use a brain region associated with habitual behavior in making decisions about what to eat.
Elevated aspartate aminotransferase and alanine aminotransferase levels are also linked to lower body mass index.
Significant declines in weight and shape concerns, and dietary restraints were seen in female students after receiving mindfulness training.
Although not officially recognized by the APA, cases of orthorexia are on the rise.
Psychotherapy is useful in treating bulimia and binge eating, while anorexia remains the most difficult eating disorder to tackle.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Addressing Common Nutritional Deficiencies in Autism
- Physical Activity During Midlife Influences Late Life Verbal Memory Performance
- Children With ADHD May Adapt More Poorly To Changes In Positive Reinforcement Patterns
- Functional Role of Adult-Born Neurons in Stress Vulnerability and Resilience
- "Drunkorexia" Linked To Both Eating and Substance Use Disorders
- Psychoeducation No More Effective Than Peer Support at Reducing Time to Next Bipolar Episode
- No Difference Between Omega-3 & Placebo in Patients at Ultrahigh Risk for Psychosis
- Smartphone Questionnaire Effective for Long-Term Monitoring of Mood Instability
- Prolactin-Related Symptoms Decrease with Reduced Risperidone Dosage
- Sport Psychiatry: An Emerging Specialty