DBS is associated with significant improvements in treatment-refractory anorexia nervosa.
Eating disorders are not confined to adolescence and early adulthood.
Continued symptom improvement and meaningful recovery are possible in anorexia nervosa beyond the first decade of follow-up.
It's the deadliest mental illness. What's being done about it?
Exercise time per day is associated with a higher Eating Disorder Examination (EDE) global score in adults with anorexia.
FDA approval was based on a single clinical trial involving 111 patients, which was funded by the device manufacturer.
Those with eating disorders had higher scores in scales measuring alcohol dependence, alcohol-related problems, and intoxication.
Researchers found that the depression treatment rTMS cut the urges to restrict food in anorexia.
Individuals with anorexia nervosa mainly died from natural causes of the eating disorder.
Mental health conditions, like binge eating disorder and depression, are common among patients undergoing bariatric surgery.
Those who were bullied were almost twice as likely to have symptoms of bulimia compared to those who weren't bullied.
People who suffer from anorexia nervosa use a brain region associated with habitual behavior in making decisions about what to eat.
Elevated aspartate aminotransferase and alanine aminotransferase levels are also linked to lower body mass index.
Significant declines in weight and shape concerns, and dietary restraints were seen in female students after receiving mindfulness training.
Although not officially recognized by the APA, cases of orthorexia are on the rise.
Psychotherapy is useful in treating bulimia and binge eating, while anorexia remains the most difficult eating disorder to tackle.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nonsuicidal Self-Injury: Proper Identification and Treatment
- Treatment-Resistant Depression: Intensive Short-Term Dynamic Psychotherapy Vs Treatment As Usual
- Mortality Increased in Patients Recently Discharged From Inpatient Treatment
- Depression, Anxiety Found in Patients With Photophobia
- Increased Risk of Low-Functioning Autism for Children of Migrant Parents
- Bipolar Disorder: QoL Affected by Depression, Irritiability
- Psychosis in Alzheimer's Disease Induced by Female-Specific Gene
- Psychosocial Factors, Risk Behaviors in HIV Improved by Intervention
- Bipolar Disorder Mobile Apps May Not Address Consumer Needs
- Women With Mental Illness Have Lower Cervical Cancer Screening Rates