Generic Name and Formulations:
Bivalirudin 250mg/vial; pwd for IV inj after reconstitution and dilution.
The Medicines Company
Indications for ANGIOMAX:
Anticoagulation with concomitant aspirin in: unstable angina undergoing percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty (PTCA); patients with, or at risk of, heparin–induced thrombocytopenia (HIT) and thrombosis syndrome (HITTS) undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI), and in patients undergoing PCI with provisional use of glycoprotein IIb/IIIa (GPI).
Give with aspirin 300–325mg daily: initiate 0.75mg/kg IV bolus (may give additional bolus of 0.3mg/kg after 5mins, if needed in those without HIT/HITTS), followed by 1.75mg/kg/hr for duration of procedure. May continue infusion up to 4hrs post-procedure; after 4hrs, may give additional infusion of 0.2mg/kg/hr up to 20hrs, if needed. Renal impairment: CrCl <30mL/min: reduce infusion rate to 1mg/kg/hr; hemodialysis: 0.25mg/kg/hr.
Active major bleeding.
Consider stopping if symptoms of bleeding occur. Increased risk of thrombus formation with brachytherapy. Diseases associated with an increased bleeding risk. Monitor for acute stent thrombosis and signs/symptoms of MI in STEMI patients following PCI. Renal impairment. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Increased bleeding risk with warfarin, heparin, thrombolytics. Interferes with INR measurements.
Bleeding, back pain, pain, headache, GI upset, hypo- or hypertension, inj site pain, urinary retention.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age