Generic Name and Formulations:
Bivalirudin 250mg/vial; pwd for IV inj after reconstitution and dilution.
The Medicines Company
Indications for ANGIOMAX:
Anticoagulation with concomitant aspirin in: unstable angina undergoing percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty (PTCA); patients with, or at risk of, heparin–induced thrombocytopenia (HIT) and thrombosis syndrome (HITTS) undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI), and in patients undergoing PCI with provisional use of glycoprotein IIb/IIIa (GPI).
Give with aspirin 300–325mg daily: initiate 0.75mg/kg IV bolus (may give additional bolus of 0.3mg/kg after 5mins, if needed in those without HIT/HITTS), followed by 1.75mg/kg/hr for duration of procedure. May continue infusion up to 4hrs post-procedure; after 4hrs, may give additional infusion of 0.2mg/kg/hr up to 20hrs, if needed. Renal impairment: CrCl <30mL/min: reduce infusion rate to 1mg/kg/hr; hemodialysis: 0.25mg/kg/hr.
Active major bleeding.
Consider stopping if symptoms of bleeding occur. Increased risk of thrombus formation with brachytherapy. Diseases associated with an increased bleeding risk. Monitor for acute stent thrombosis and signs/symptoms of MI in STEMI patients following PCI. Renal impairment. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Increased bleeding risk with warfarin, heparin, thrombolytics. Interferes with INR measurements.
Bleeding, back pain, pain, headache, GI upset, hypo- or hypertension, inj site pain, urinary retention.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder