Generic Name and Formulations:
Flucytosine 250mg, 500mg; caps.
Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc
Indications for ANCOBON:
In combination with amphotericin B: Candida infections in septicemia, endocarditis, UTIs and pulmonary infections; cryptococcus infections in meningitis, pulmonary, septicemia, and UTIs.
Adults and Children:
50–150mg/kg per day given in divided doses every 6 hours. To minimize GI upset, give a few capsules at a time over 15 minutes. Renal impairment: give initial dose at lower range.
Renal or hepatic impairment. Monitor electrolytes, blood count, renal and hepatic function before and during therapy. Bone marrow depression (eg, hematologic disease, history or currently treated with radiation or bone marrow depressants). Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Antagonized by cytosine arabinoside. May be potentiated by drugs that impair glomerular filtration.
Cardiac events, chest pain, dyspnea, GI upset, abdominal pain, hepatic dysfunction, elevated creatinine and BUN, blood dyscrasias, ataxia, headache, confusion, fatigue, hypoglycemia, hypokalemia, rash, allergic reactions, others.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Examining Rates of Long-Term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Researchers Identify Novel Potential Biomarkers for Autism
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Supported Employment vs Transitional Work in Veterans With PTSD
- Comparing Pharmacologic Treatments for Prevention of Rehospitalization in BP
- Preliminary Evidence Suggests Suicidal Thinking Is Self-Reinforcing
- Lower Fluoxetine Efficacy in Elderly Patients With Major Depressive Disorder
- Personal Health Information Found in Recycling