Generic Name and Formulations:
Flucytosine 250mg, 500mg; caps.
Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc
Indications for ANCOBON:
In combination with amphotericin B: Candida infections in septicemia, endocarditis, UTIs and pulmonary infections; cryptococcus infections in meningitis, pulmonary, septicemia, and UTIs.
Adults and Children:
50–150mg/kg per day given in divided doses every 6 hours. To minimize GI upset, give a few capsules at a time over 15 minutes. Renal impairment: give initial dose at lower range.
Renal or hepatic impairment. Monitor electrolytes, blood count, renal and hepatic function before and during therapy. Bone marrow depression (eg, hematologic disease, history or currently treated with radiation or bone marrow depressants). Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Antagonized by cytosine arabinoside. May be potentiated by drugs that impair glomerular filtration.
Cardiac events, chest pain, dyspnea, GI upset, abdominal pain, hepatic dysfunction, elevated creatinine and BUN, blood dyscrasias, ataxia, headache, confusion, fatigue, hypoglycemia, hypokalemia, rash, allergic reactions, others.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder