Generic Name and Formulations:
Oxymetholone 50mg; scored tabs.
- Tobacco Use Associated With Negative Clinical Outcomes in First Episode Psychosis
- Policies for Childbearing, Family Leave Examined at Top US Medical Schools
- Could "Medical Virtualist" Become a New Specialty?
Indications for ANADROL-50:
Anemia caused by deficient red cell production. Acquired aplastic anemia, congenital anemia, myelofibrosis, and hypoplastic anemias due to myelotoxic drugs.
Adults and Children:
Individualized. 1–5mg/kg per day for at least 3–6 months; may attempt to lower dose or discontinue after remission. Congenital aplastic anemia: may need continued maintenance dose.
Male breast or prostate carcinoma. Breast cancer in females with hypercalcemia. Nephrosis or the nephrotic phase of nephritis. Severe hepatic dysfunction. Pregnancy (Cat.X).
Not a replacement for other supportive treatments (eg, transfusion; iron, folic acid, Vit. B12, Vit. B6 replacement). Discontinue if jaundice, abnormal liver function, hypercalcemia, or edema occurs. Cardiac, hepatic, or renal dysfunction. Monitor hepatic function, blood, and bone age. Elderly. Young children. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
May potentiate oral anticoagulants. May alter insulin or oral antihyperglycemic needs.
Peliosis hepatis, premature epiphyseal closure in adolescents, edema, hepatic carcinoma, prostatic hypertrophy or carcinoma, gynecomastia, priapism, oligospermia, nausea, jaundice, hirsutism, virilization, male pattern baldness, acne, polycythemia, headache, CNS excitation, insomnia, altered libido, fluid and electrolyte disturbances, suppression of clotting factors, increased serum cholesterol.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders