Generic Name and Formulations:
Dalfampridine 10mg; ext-rel tabs.
Indications for AMPYRA:
To improve walking in patients with multiple sclerosis (demonstrated by an increase in walking speed).
Swallow whole. ≥18yrs: max 10mg every 12hrs.
<18yrs: not established.
History of seizures. Moderate to severe renal impairment (CrCl ≤50mL/min). Previous allergies to 4-aminopyridine.
Assess renal function before initiation; monitor at least annually. Mild renal impairment (CrCl 51–80mL/min): increased risk of seizures. Discontinue if signs/symptoms of anaphylaxis occurs. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Labor & delivery. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Discontinue other forms of 4-aminopyridine prior to initiating. Concomitant OCT2 inhibitors (eg, cimetidine) may potentiate the risk of seizures.
Potassium channel blocker.
UTI, insomnia, dizziness, headache, nausea, asthenia, back pain, balance disorder, MS relapse, paresthesia, nasopharyngitis, constipation, dyspepsia, throat pain; seizures (possible at higher doses), severe allergic reactions.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Prevalence of ADHD Relatively Stable Over Time Despite Increase in Diagnoses
- Prevalence of Major Depressive Disorder Remains High In US Population
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Evidence of Methylphenidate Abuse: Characterizing Patterns of Use in Pediatric and Adult Populations
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- Most Patients Comfortable With Clinicians Asking About Sexual Orientation
- Peer-to-Peer Depression Awareness Program May Be Beneficial
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders