Ampicillin sodium Injection Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Ampicillin sodium 125mg, 250mg, 500mg, 1g, 2g, 10g; per vial; pwd for IV or IM inj after reconstitution and dilution.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Ampicillin sodium Injection:
Adults and Children:
Give IV inj slowly over at least 10–15 minutes; rapid IV administration may result in convulsive seizures. Respiratory tract and soft tissue infections: <40kg: 25–50mg/kg per day in equally divided doses every 6–8 hours. ≥40kg: 250–500mg every 6 hours. GI or GU tract infections (including N. gonorrhoeae in women): <40kg: 50mg/kg per day in equally divided doses every 6–8 hours. ≥40kg: 500mg every 6 hours. Urethritis in males due to N. gonorrhoeae: two doses of 500mg each at interval of 8–12 hours. Meningitis: Initiate with IV drip, then continue IM. 150–200mg/kg per day in equally divided doses every 3–4 hours. Septicimia: Initiate IV for at least 3 days, then continue IM every 3–4 hours. 150–200mg/kg per day; treat for at least 10 days if caused by Group A β-hemolytic streptococci.
Cephalosporin, imipenem, other allergy or mononucleosis: not recommended. Monitor blood, renal, and liver function in long-term use. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
May cause false (+) glucose test with Clinitest, Benedict's or Fehling's soln. Potentiated by probenecid. May increase risk of rash with allopurinol.
Anaphylaxis, urticaria, GI upset, blood dyscrasias.
Formerly known under the brand names Principen, Totacillin, Pfizerpen-A, Penbritin, Omnipen, Amcill (caps, susp); Polycillin-N, Totacillin-N, Penbritin-S, Omnipen-N (inj).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders