Amoxicillin Suspension Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Amoxicillin (as trihydrate) 125mg/5mL, 250mg/5mL; raspberry-strawberry flavor.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Amoxicillin Suspension:
Susceptible infections including ear/nose/throat (ENT), genitourinary tract, skin and skin structures, lower respiratory, acute uncomplicated gonorrhea.
ENT, genitourinary, or skin: 250mg every 8hrs. Severe, less susceptible, or lower respiratory infections: 500mg every 8hrs. Gonorrhea: 3g once. Renal impairment: glomerular filtration rate (GFR) 10–30mL/min: 250mg or 500mg every 12hrs; GFR <10mL/min or hemodialysis: 250mg or 500mg every 24hrs (give additional dose during and at end of dialysis).
≥40kg: as adult. ≤3 months: max 30mg/kg per day in 2 divided doses every 12hrs. >3 months (<40kg): ENT, genitourinary, skin: 20mg/kg per day in 3 divided doses every 8hrs. Severe, less susceptible, or lower respiratory infections: 40mg/kg per day in 3 divided doses every 8hrs. Gonorrhea: <2yrs: not recommended; prepubertal: amoxicillin 50mg/kg + probenecid 25mg/kg as a single dose.
Cephalosporin, imipenem or other allergy: not recommended. Monitor blood, renal, and hepatic function in long-term use. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
May cause false (+) glucose test with Clinitest, Benedict's or Fehling's soln. Serum levels increased by probenecid.
GI upset, hypersensitivity reactions (eg, urticaria, rash, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, anaphylaxis), hyperactivity, blood dyscrasias.
Formerly known under the brand names Amoxil, Trimox, Ultimox, Wymox (caps, susp), Polymox (susp).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders