Generic Name and Formulations:
Sodium phenylacetate 100mg, sodium benzoate 100mg; per mL; soln for IV infusion after dilution; contains 30.5mg Na+/mL; preservative-free.
Bausch Health Companies Inc.
Indications for AMMONUL:
Acute hyperammonemia with encephalopathy in urea cycle disorders, as adjunctive therapy.
Adults and Children:
Discontinue sodium phenylbutyrate first. Give by IV infusion through central line. Loading dose: Infuse over 90–120 minutes. Maintenance dose: Infuse over 24 hours; continue until ammonia levels normalize or patient can tolerate oral nutrition and medications. 0–20kg: 2.5mL/kg. >20kg: 55mL/m2. Discontinue if extravasation occurs; may resume infusion at different site. Concomitant L-arginine dose dependent upon specific enzyme defiency. See literature.
Do not administer undiluted product. Uncontrolled hyperammonemia (may require hemodialysis). Renal or hepatic insufficiency. CHF. Sodium retention with edema. Perform blood chemistry profiles. Monitor ammonia levels, blood pH and pCO2, electrolytes, neurological status, and clinical response. May give antiemetic to reduce nausea and vomiting. Restrict dietary protein. Maintain adequate caloric intake. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Corticosteroids may increase ammonia levels. May be antagonized by drugs that compete for active renal tubule secretion (eg, penicillin), probenecid, valproic acid.
GI upset, convulsions, mental impairment, hyperglycemia, hypokalemia.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Differences in Efficacy and Tolerability of ADHD Medications Across Age Groups
- Rapid Cycling Bipolar Disorder Associated With ADHD and Female Gender
- Associations Between Hypovitaminosis D and Poorer Outcomes in Schizophrenia
- Oxycontin's Maker Now Selling Drug to Curb Opioid Addiction
- Symptom Trajectories Vary According to Language Development in Autism
- Quetiapine Exposure Does Not Appear to Increase Risk for Infant Malformations
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors May Increase Risk for Suboptimal Fetal Growth
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Prenatal Insecticide Exposure in Mother May Be Linked to Risk for Autism in Children