Generic Name and Formulations:
Sodium phenylacetate 100mg, sodium benzoate 100mg; per mL; soln for IV infusion after dilution; contains 30.5mg Na+/mL; preservative-free.
Medicis Pharmaceuticals Corp
Indications for AMMONUL:
Acute hyperammonemia with encephalopathy in urea cycle disorders, as adjunctive therapy.
Adults and Children:
Discontinue sodium phenylbutyrate first. Give by IV infusion through central line. Loading dose: Infuse over 90–120 minutes. Maintenance dose: Infuse over 24 hours; continue until ammonia levels normalize or patient can tolerate oral nutrition and medications. 0–20kg: 2.5mL/kg. >20kg: 55mL/m2. Discontinue if extravasation occurs; may resume infusion at different site. Concomitant L-arginine dose dependent upon specific enzyme defiency. See literature.
Do not administer undiluted product. Uncontrolled hyperammonemia (may require hemodialysis). Renal or hepatic insufficiency. CHF. Sodium retention with edema. Perform blood chemistry profiles. Monitor ammonia levels, blood pH and pCO2, electrolytes, neurological status, and clinical response. May give antiemetic to reduce nausea and vomiting. Restrict dietary protein. Maintain adequate caloric intake. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Corticosteroids may increase ammonia levels. May be antagonized by drugs that compete for active renal tubule secretion (eg, penicillin), probenecid, valproic acid.
GI upset, convulsions, mental impairment, hyperglycemia, hypokalemia.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Anxiety Prevention Interventions: How Effective Are They?
- ADHD, Comorbid Bipolar Disorder Share Similar Neurocognitive Profiles
- Antidepressant Use and Dementia Risk in the Elderly
- Risk for Adverse Outcomes With Antidepressants in Dementia
- Chronic Alcohol Use Disorder Symptoms Occur Regardless of Social Status
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Buprenorphine, Methadone Combined With CNS Depressants May Lead to SAEs
- Vagus Nerve Stimulation in HIV-Associated Depression
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- Retirement Saving Behavior Associated With Psychological Distress