Generic Name and Formulations:
Amitriptyline HCl 10mg, 25mg, 50mg, 75mg, 100mg, 150mg; tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
- Do Antidepressants Improve Chronic Pain in Pediatric Patients?
- Statistically Significant Link Between Antidepressant Use, T2D Observed
- Worse Psychological Profile for Patients on Migraine Medication Who Relapse
Indications for Amitriptyline:
Depression especially endogenous.
Initially 75mg daily in divided doses or 50–100mg daily at bedtime; max 150mg daily. Elderly and adolescents: reduce dose.
During or within 14 days of MAOIs. Acute post MI.
History of seizures, urinary retention, glaucoma. Cardiovascular disease. Suicidal tendencies. Surgery. ECT. Psychosis. Hyperthyroidism. Liver dysfunction. Diabetes. Gradually reduce to lowest effective maintenance dose. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
During or within 5 weeks of fluoxetine. Hyperpyretic crises, severe convulsions, and death with MAOIs (see Contraindications). May block guanethidine. Potentiates alcohol, barbiturates, other CNS depressants. Delirium with disulfiram, ethchlorvynol. Paralytic ileus with anticholinergics. Hyperpyrexia with anticholinergics, sympathomimetics. Monitor serum levels with CYP450 inhibitors (eg, quinidine, cimetidine, phenothiazines, propafenone, flecainide, others: see literature).
Drowsiness, anticholinergic effects, CNS overstimulation, arrhythmias, stroke, coma, confusion, extrapyramidal symptoms, hypo- or hypertension, nausea, fatigue, rash, increased perspiration, headache, photosensitivity, edema, blood dyscrasias, alopecia, libido changes, changes in blood sugar; women: breast enlargement, galactorrhea; men: testicular swelling, gynecomastia.
Formerly known under the brand name Elavil.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder