Generic Name and Formulations:
Etomidate 2mg/mL; soln for IV inj.
Indications for AMIDATE:
For the induction of general anesthesia. For the supplementation of subpotent anesthetic agents (eg, nitrous oxide in oxygen) during maintenance of anesthesia for short operative procedures (eg, dilation and curettage, cervical conization).
Adults and Children:
<10yrs: not recommended. Induction: Give by IV inj over 30–60 seconds. ≥10yrs: Individualize. Usual range: 0.2–0.6mg/kg. Usual dose: 0.3mg/kg. Elderly: may need to reduce dose. Supplementation: smaller increments may be given.
To be administered only by those experienced in general anesthesia. May reduce plasma cortisol and aldosterone concentrations; consider exogenous replacement in patients undergoing severe stress. Pediatric neurotoxicity risk with repeated or prolonged use. Renal impairment. Elderly (may induce cardiac depression). Labor & delivery: not recommended. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant IV fentanyl and other neuroactive drugs; may need to adjust etomidate dose.
Transient venous pain on inj, transient skeletal muscle movements including myoclonus, hyper- or hypoventilation, apnea, laryngospasm, hiccup, snoring, hyper- or hypotension, tachycardia, arrhythmias, post-op nausea/vomiting.
Vial—10mL, 20mL; Ampul—10mL, 20mL; Abboject syringe—20mL
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders