Generic Name and Formulations:
Etomidate 2mg/mL; soln for IV inj.
Indications for AMIDATE:
For the induction of general anesthesia. For the supplementation of subpotent anesthetic agents (eg, nitrous oxide in oxygen) during maintenance of anesthesia for short operative procedures (eg, dilation and curettage, cervical conization).
Adults and Children:
<10yrs: not recommended. Induction: Give by IV inj over 30–60 seconds. ≥10yrs: Individualize. Usual range: 0.2–0.6mg/kg. Usual dose: 0.3mg/kg. Elderly: may need to reduce dose. Supplementation: smaller increments may be given.
To be administered only by those experienced in general anesthesia. May reduce plasma cortisol and aldosterone concentrations; consider exogenous replacement in patients undergoing severe stress. Pediatric neurotoxicity risk with repeated or prolonged use. Renal impairment. Elderly (may induce cardiac depression). Labor & delivery: not recommended. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant IV fentanyl and other neuroactive drugs; may need to adjust etomidate dose.
Transient venous pain on inj, transient skeletal muscle movements including myoclonus, hyper- or hypoventilation, apnea, laryngospasm, hiccup, snoring, hyper- or hypotension, tachycardia, arrhythmias, post-op nausea/vomiting.
Vial—10mL, 20mL; Ampul—10mL, 20mL; Abboject syringe—20mL
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Duration of Untreated Depression Predicts Depression Severity
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Elevated Dopamine Synthesis Capacity Observed in Both Bipolar and Schizophrenia
- SSRI Use Associated With Increased Type 2 Diabetes Risk in Young Adults
- Specialty Physicians Experiencing Lack of Income Growth
- Improved Patient-Provider Communication Needed Following Urgent Care Visits
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV