Generic Name and Formulations:
Aminolevulinic acid HCl 10%; gel; contains isopropyl alcohol.
Indications for AMELUZ:
In combination with photodynamic therapy (PDT) using BF-RhodoLED lamp (red light illumination source), for the treatment of mild-to-moderate actinic keratoses on the face and scalp.
Clean and prepare all lesions prior to application. Apply gel approx. 1mm thick and include approx. 5mm of the surrounding skin. Use sufficient amount of gel to cover lesion(s) and entire area. Max application area of 20cm2 and max 2g (1 tube) use at one time. Cover treated area with occlusive dressing for 3 hours, then remove dressing and any remaining gel; immediately following illumination with red light: see full labeling. Treated lesions not completely resolved after 12 weeks may be retreated.
<18yrs: not established.
Porphyrin hypersensitivity. Porphyria. Photodermatoses.
Administered by healthcare provider only. In combination with PDT may cause transient amnestic episodes. Not for ophthalmic, oral, or intravaginal use. Avoid sunlight, prolonged, or intense light (eg, tanning beds, sunlamps) on lesions and surrounding skin for 2 days after treatment. Avoid applying to eyes, mucous membranes. Inherited or acquired coagulation disorders. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
May increase risk of phototoxic reaction to PDT with concomitant other photosensitizing agents (eg, St. John's wort, griseofulvin, thiazides, sulfonylureas, phenothiazines, sulfonamides, quinolones, tetracyclines).
Application site erythema, pain/burning, irritation, edema, pruritus, exfoliation, scab, induration, vesicles, paresthesia, hyperalgesia; ophthalmic reactions, increased photosensitivity.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Prazosin May Be Effective as Treatment for Alcohol Use Disorder
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age