Generic Name and Formulations:
Aminolevulinic acid HCl 10%; gel; contains isopropyl alcohol.
Indications for AMELUZ:
In combination with photodynamic therapy (PDT) using BF-RhodoLED lamp (red light illumination source), for the treatment of mild-to-moderate actinic keratoses on the face and scalp.
Clean and prepare all lesions prior to application. Apply gel approx. 1mm thick and include approx. 5mm of the surrounding skin. Use sufficient amount of gel to cover lesion(s) and entire area. Max application area of 20cm2 and max 2g (1 tube) use at one time. Cover treated area with occlusive dressing for 3 hours, then remove dressing and any remaining gel; immediately following illumination with red light: see full labeling. Treated lesions not completely resolved after 12 weeks may be retreated.
<18yrs: not established.
Porphyrin hypersensitivity. Porphyria. Photodermatoses.
Administered by healthcare provider only. In combination with PDT may cause transient amnestic episodes. Not for ophthalmic, oral, or intravaginal use. Avoid sunlight, prolonged, or intense light (eg, tanning beds, sunlamps) on lesions and surrounding skin for 2 days after treatment. Avoid applying to eyes, mucous membranes. Inherited or acquired coagulation disorders. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
May increase risk of phototoxic reaction to PDT with concomitant other photosensitizing agents (eg, St. John's wort, griseofulvin, thiazides, sulfonylureas, phenothiazines, sulfonamides, quinolones, tetracyclines).
Application site erythema, pain/burning, irritation, edema, pruritus, exfoliation, scab, induration, vesicles, paresthesia, hyperalgesia; ophthalmic reactions, increased photosensitivity.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Elevated Dopamine Synthesis Capacity Observed in Both Bipolar and Schizophrenia
- SSRI Use Associated With Increased Type 2 Diabetes Risk in Young Adults
- Specialty Physicians Experiencing Lack of Income Growth
- Improved Patient-Provider Communication Needed Following Urgent Care Visits
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV