Generic Name and Formulations:
Zolpidem tartrate 5mg, 10mg; tabs.
Indications for AMBIEN:
Use lowest effective dose. Initially 5mg (in women), and 5mg or 10mg (in men) at bedtime (take only if able to get 7–8hrs of sleep before becoming active again). Both: if 5mg dose ineffective, may increase to max 10mg. Elderly, debilitated, or mild-to-moderate hepatic impairment: 5mg once daily at bedtime. Effect delayed if taken with a meal.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Increased risk of next-day psychomotor impairment. Depression. Abnormal thinking and behavioral changes. Compromised respiratory function. Sleep apnea. Myasthenia gravis. Avoid in severe hepatic impairment; may contribute to encephalopathy. Evaluate for co-morbid diagnoses before initiation. Reevaluate if insomnia persists after 7–10 days of use. Drug or alcohol abuse. Write ℞ for smallest practical amount. Withdraw gradually. Elderly. Debilitated. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant other sedative-hypnotics including other zolpidem products: not recommended. Increased risk of CNS depression, drowsiness, psychomotor impairment with alcohol, other CNS depressants (eg, benzodiazepines, opioids, tricyclics). May be potentiated by CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ketoconazole), sertraline; use lower zolpidem dose. Decreased alertness with imipramine, chlorpromazine. May be antagonized by CYP3A4 inducers (eg, rifampin, St. John's wort); avoid concomitant use.
CNS effects, complex sleep-related behaviors (eg, sleep-driving), headache, next-day somnolence, drowsiness, dizziness, diarrhea, dry mouth; anaphylaxis, angioedema.
CR tabs 6.25mg—100; 12.5mg—100, 500; tabs 5mg—100; 10mg—100, 500
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder