Amantadine HCl Syrup Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Amantadine HCl 50mg/5mL; raspberry flavor.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Amantadine HCl Syrup:
Parkinsonism. Drug-induced extrapyramidal reactions.
Parkinsonism monotherapy: initially 100mg twice daily, may increase after 1–2 weeks by 100mg daily. Serious associated illness or high doses of other antiparkinson drugs: 100mg once daily, may increase after 1 to several weeks to 100mg twice daily; max 400mg/day in divided doses. Extrapyramidal disorders: 100mg twice daily; max 300mg/day in divided doses. Renal dysfunction: reduce dose; see literature.
Adjust dose gradually. History of seizures. Heart failure. Orthostatic hypotension. Peripheral edema. Renal (CrCl <50mL/min) or hepatic dysfunction. Psychiatric disorders. Suicidal ideation. History of recurrent eczematoid rash. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Caution with CNS stimulants. Thioridazine may worsen tremor in elderly patients with parkinsonism.
Neuroleptic malignant syndrome (when drug is withdrawn or dose is reduced), nausea, dizziness, insomnia, heart failure, anxiety, irritability, hallucinations, confusion, anorexia, anticholinergic effects, constipation, ataxia, livedo reticularis, peripheral edema, orthostatic hypotension, headache, somnolence, dream abnormality, diarrhea, fatigue.
Formerly known under the brand name Symmetrel.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Transference in the Age of #MeToo: What Counts as Harassment From a Patient?
- Models Derived From Electronic Health Records Effective in Predicting Suicide Risk
- Predictors of Long-term Medication Adherence in Children With ADHD
- Autonomic Function May Have Directional Effect on Depression
- Probiotics Effective in Reducing Rehospitalization for Patients With Mania
- Court-Mandated Substance Abuse Treatment: Exploring the Ethics and Efficacy
- ADHD Treatments
- Esketamine Nasal Spray: A New Treatment Possibility for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- Pharmacogenetics in Psychiatry: Promising Developments and Potential Pitfalls
- Substance Abuse and Primary Psychosis: A Closer Look
- Perimenstrual Symptom Exacerbation Observed in Borderline Personality Disorder
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy Effective in Reducing Suicide Attempts, Self-Harm in Adolescents
- Good Sleep Tied to Better Cardiometabolic Health in Youths
- Public Support Only Moderate for Opioid Harm Reduction Strategies
- Discrepancies Noted in Financial Disclosures Among Academic Physician-Directors