Alzheimer’s Disease and Dementia Feature Archive
Although existing management strategies for delirium are limited in effectiveness, researchers are hopeful that improvements in prevention strategies for delirium may be achieved by gaining a better understanding of the role of cognitive and brain reserve.
Ronald Petersen, MD, PhD, discusses the implications of the failed solanezumab trial.
Sundowning is a complex multifactorial condition that has eluded rigorous understanding of its pathophysiological causes.
Although inconclusive, late-onset Alzheimer's Disease could be triggered by infectious pathogens.
In one study, a singing intervention improved working memory among patients with mild dementia and helped to preserve executive function and orientation.
The RiverSpring at Night program treats Alzheimer's patients with sleep problems in a drug-free environment with nighttime activities.
Growing evidence indicates that herpes simplex virus 1 may play a role in the development of Alzheimer's.
Nonpharmacologic interventions should be used first before medication to promote sleep is considered.
Recent studies have indicated that many people who report olfactory impairments are eventually diagnosed with dementia.
Cerebrospinal fluid, neuroimaging techniques, and blood and skin peripheral tissues may hold the answers to recognizing Alzheimer's disease earlier.
Nonpharmacologic management with multidisciplinary teams warranted due to lack of effective pharmacologic options.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Link Identified Between Cured Meat and Mania in Bipolar Disorder
- Suicide Attempts Associated With Sleep and Circadian Rhythm Disturbances in Bipolar Disorder
- First-Episode Delusional Disorder vs Schizophrenia: Assessment of Outcomes
- Early Risk Factors for Bipolar Disorder Found in Offspring of BD Parents
- Prevalence of Schizophrenia in Individuals With Type 2 Diabetes
- The Opioid System: The Foundation for Social Risk and Reward
- Correctional Psychiatry: Challenges and Rewards
- Those Left Behind: Working With Suicide-Bereaved Families
- The Impact of Deafness on Hallucinations and Delusions
- Is Mandatory Reporting of Child Maltreatment in the Best Interests of the Child?
- Nutrition Tips for Physicians: Staying Healthy During Busy Days
- Mental Health Problems in Adolescents With HIV: Overview & Expert Interview
- Should Physicians Play a Role in Minimizing the Societal Cost of Medical Care?
- Digital Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Effective for Individuals With Insomnia
- How Do Medical Scribes Reduce EHR Documentation Burden for Physicians?