Generic Name and Formulations:
Ciclesonide 80mcg/inh, 160mcg/inh; metered dose aerosol.
Indications for ALVESCO:
Maintenance treatment of asthma as prophylactic therapy in patients ≥12 years of age.
Previously on bronchodilators alone: initially 80mcg twice daily, max 160mcg twice daily. Previously on inhaled corticosteroids: initially 80mcg twice daily; max 320mcg twice daily. Previously on oral corticosteroids (see literature): 320mcg twice daily. Rinse mouth after use; avoid eyes.
Not for primary treatment of acute attack.
Infections. If exposed to chickenpox or measles, consider immuneglobulin prophylactic therapy. If adrenal insufficiency exists following systemic corticosteroid therapy, replacement with inhaled corticosteroids may exacerbate symptoms of adrenal insufficiency (eg, lassitude). Monitor for hypercorticism and HPA axis suppression (if occur reduce dose gradually). Monitor for growth suppression in children. Monitor for changes in vision, increased intraocular pressure, cataracts. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Headache, nasopharyngitis, sinusitis, throat pain, upper respiratory infection, arthralgia, nasal congestion, back pain; rare: bronchospasm, immunosuppression, glaucoma, cataracts, oral candidiasis, decreased bone mineral density.
Inhaler—6.1g (60 inh)
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Elevated Dopamine Synthesis Capacity Observed in Both Bipolar and Schizophrenia
- SSRI Use Associated With Increased Type 2 Diabetes Risk in Young Adults
- Specialty Physicians Experiencing Lack of Income Growth
- Improved Patient-Provider Communication Needed Following Urgent Care Visits
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV