Generic Name and Formulations:
Levonorgestrel 0.15mg, ethinyl estradiol 30micrograms (21 tabs); inert (7 tabs).
Indications for ALTAVERA:
1 tab daily for 28 days; repeat.
Pre-menarchal: not applicable.
Thrombophlebitis or thromboembolic disorders. Cerebrovascular or coronary artery disease. Valvular heart disease with thrombogenic complications. Uncontrolled hypertension. Diabetes with vascular involvement. Headaches with focal neurological symptoms. Major surgery with prolonged immobilization. Cholestatic jaundice of pregnancy or jaundice with prior pill use. Breast or other estrogen or progestin-sensitive neoplasms. Hepatic disease or tumors. Undiagnosed abnormal uterine bleeding. Pregnancy (Cat.X).
Increased risk of cardiovascular events (eg, MI, stroke, VTE). Smokers >35yrs of age. Discontinue if thrombotic event, unexplained visual changes, or jaundice occurs, and at least 4 weeks before through 2 weeks after surgery associated with increased risk of thromboembolism. Gallbladder disease. Diabetes. Prediabetes. Uncontrolled dyslipidemias. Hypertriglyceridemia. Pregnancy-related cholestasis. Depression. Evaluate significant changes in headaches, irregular uterine bleeding, amenorrhea. Hypertension: monitor BP. Do regular complete physical exams. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
May be antagonized by CYP3A4 or other enzyme inducers (eg, barbiturates, bosentan, carbamazepine, felbamate, griseofulvin, oxcarbazepine, phenytoin, rifampin, St. John’s wort, topiramate); use backup contraception. May be affected by protease inhibitors, NNRTIs, atorvastatin, acetaminophen, ascorbic acid, itraconazole, ketoconazole. May antagonize lamotrigine. May affect laboratory tests (eg, coagulation factors, lipids, glucose tolerance, binding proteins). May need dose adjustment of thyroid hormones.
Progestin + estrogen.
Headache, nausea, vomiting, bleeding irregularities, dysmenorrhea, weight change, mastodynia, acne, abdominal pain, anxiety, depression; angioedema, chloasma, others (see full labeling).
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder