Alprazolam Intensol CIV
Generic Name and Formulations:
Alprazolam 1mg/mL; oral soln (concentrate).
Indications for Alprazolam Intensol:
Mix with liquid or semi-solid food. Adjust at intervals of at least 3–4 days. ≥18yrs: initially 0.25–0.5mg 3 times daily; max 4mg daily in divided doses. Elderly, debilitated, or advanced liver disease: initially 0.25mg 2–3 times daily.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Acute narrow angle glaucoma. Concomitant itraconazole, ketoconazole.
Not for use in untreated open-angle glaucoma. Reevaluate periodically. Change dose gradually. Withdrawal symptoms on abrupt cessation or dose reduction. Suicidal ideation. Psychosis. Mania. Renal, cardiovascular, hepatic, pulmonary dysfunction (monitor). Obesity. Elderly. Debilitated. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.D), nursing mothers: not recommended.
See Contraindications; other azole antifungals: not recommended. Potentiates CNS depression with alcohol, psychotropics, anticonvulsants, other CNS depressants. Potentiated by CYP3A inhibitors; reduce alprazolam dose; caution with cimetidine, nefazodone, fluvoxamine; caution with weaker CYP3A inhibitors (eg, fluoxetine, propoxyphene, oral contraceptives). Antagonized by CYP3A inducers (eg, carbamazepine). May increase levels of imipramine, desipramine.
CNS depression; impaired memory, coordination, or attention; dysarthria, ataxia, arthralgia, dyspnea, paradoxical excitement, increased salivation, withdrawal seizures, tremors, decreased libido, sexual dysfunction.
Soln—30mL (w. dropper)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Increasing Among US Children and Adolescents
- Suicide Attempt Risk Among LGB Populations Higher Than Previously Estimated
- Residents Should Take Advantage of Paid Time Off
- Outpatient Engagement May Lower Suicide Attempts in Patients With Fibromyalgia
- Prevalence of Alzheimer Disease, Related Dementia Set to Double
- Forms of Childhood Adversity Related to First-Episode Psychosis Outcomes