Generic Name and Formulations:
Antihemophilic Factor VIII/von Willebrand Factor Complex (human) 250 IU, 500 IU, 1000 IU, 1500 IU; per vial; lyophilized pwd for IV inj after reconstitution; contains albumin.
Grifols Biologicals, Inc.
Indications for ALPHANATE:
Prevention and control of bleeding in Hemophilia A or acquired Factor VIII deficiency. Surgical and/or invasive procedures in von Willebrand disease (VWD) when desmopressin is ineffective or contraindicated.
Dosage Required (IU) = Body Weight (kg) × Desired % Factor VIII Increase × 0.5. Individualize. Give by IV inj; max infusion rate ≤10mL/min. Hemorrhage: Minor: 15 FVIII IU/kg twice daily for 1–2 days. Moderate: 25 FVIII IU/kg twice daily for 2–7 days. Severe: 40–50 FVIII IU/kg twice daily for at least 3–5 days, then 25 FVIII IU/kg twice daily until healed (up to 10 days). Surgery: 40–50 FVIII IU/kg prior to surgery then 25–50 FVIII IU/kg twice daily for 7–10 days or until healed. Von Willebrand: pre-op dose: 60 VWF:RCof IU/kg, then 40–60 VWF:RCof IU/kg every 8–12hrs if needed; may reduce dose after 3rd post-op day; treat until healed. Others: see literature.
Give by IV inj; max infusion rate ≤10mL/min. Von Willebrand: initially 75 VWF:RCof IU/kg, then 50–75 VWF:RCof IU/kg every 8–12hrs if needed; may reduce dose after 3rd post-op day; treat until healed.
Not for those with severe VWD undergoing major surgery. Contains human plasma; monitor for possible infection transmission. Blood groups A, B or AB; large and/or frequent dosing may result in hemolytic anemia. Monitor for development of Factor VIII inhibitors. Pregnancy (Cat.C).
Coagulation factor complex.
Urticaria, fever, chills, GI upset, headache, somnolence, lethargy, inj site reactions, pruritus, pharyngitis, paresthesia, facial edema, rash; antibody formation, infection, thromboembolic events (in VWD patients), hemolytic anemia (rare).
Report all infections suspected to be transmitted by Alphanate to (888) GRIFOLS.
Single-dose vial—1 (w. diluent, supplies)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders