Generic Name and Formulations:
Palonosetron (as HCl) 0.075mg/1.5mL, 0.25mg/5mL; IV inj; contains mannitol.
Indications for ALOXI:
Prevention of acute nausea and vomiting due to initial and repeat courses of moderately and highly emetogenic chemotherapy in adults. Prevention of delayed nausea and vomiting due to initial and repeat courses of moderately emetogenic chemotherapy in adults. Prevention of acute nausea and vomiting due to initial and repeat courses of emetogenic chemotherapy, including highly emetogenic cancer chemotherapy, in children 1 month–<17yrs. Prevention of post-op nausea and vomiting for up to 24hrs after surgery in adults.
≥17yrs: give 30 mins prior to chemotherapy. 0.25mg IV as a single-dose over 30 secs. Post-op: give immediately before anesthesia induction. 0.075mg IV over 10 secs.
<1 month: not established. 1 month–<17yrs: give 30 mins prior to chemotherapy. 0.02mg/kg IV as a single-dose over 15 mins; max 1.5mg/dose.
Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Selective 5-HT3 receptor antagonist.
Headache, constipation, bradycardia, QT prolongation, diarrhea, dizziness, tachycardia, hypotension.
Single-use vial (0.075mg/1.5mL)—5; (0.25mg/5mL)—1
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder