Generic Name and Formulations:
Orlistat 60mg; caps.
Indications for ALLI:
Adjunct to reduced-calorie, low-fat diet for weight loss in overweight adults.
≥18yrs: 1 cap with each fat-containing meal. Max: 180mg/day. Also, take a multivitamin once daily at bedtime.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Organ transplant. Chronic malabsorption syndrome. Cholestasis.
Gallbladder disorder. Pancreatitis. Kidney stones. Seizures. Pregnancy, nursing mothers: not recommended.
Concomitant cyclosporine: not recommended. May decrease absorption of fat-soluble vitamins; supplement diet with a multivitamin (separate dosing by at least 2 hours). Variable effects when concomitant anticoagulants (eg, warfarin), amiodarone, antidiabetics, antiepileptics, antiretrovirals, thyroid drugs, or other weight loss products; monitor and dose adjustments may be needed.
GI effects (oily spotting, flatus with discharge, fecal urgency, fatty/oily stools, oily evacuation, increased defecation, fecal incontinence); rare: hepatic injury.
Caps—60, 90, 120, 170
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder