ALEVE PM OTC
Generic Name and Formulations:
Naproxen sodium 220mg, diphenhydramine HCl 25mg; caplets.
Indications for ALEVE PM:
Relief of occasional sleeplessness when associated with minor aches and pains.
Take with fluids. 2 caplets at bedtime. Max 2 caplets/24hrs.
<12yrs: not recommended.
Aspirin allergy. Unless sufficient time for a full night's sleep. Immediately before or after cardiac surgery. Sleeplessness without pain. Concomitant with other diphenhydramine-containing products (including topicals).
Increased risk of severe stomach bleeding (esp. ≥60yrs old). History of GI disorders (eg, heartburn, bleeding ulcers). Respiratory disorders (eg, emphysema, bronchitis). Increased risk of heart attack or failure, and stroke (may be fatal). Hypertension. Heart disease. Recent stroke. Liver cirrhosis. Renal disease. Asthma. Glaucoma. GI or urinary obstruction. Reevaluate if pain worsens or lasts >10 days or sleeplessness persists continuously >2 weeks. Elderly. Pregnancy (avoid during 3rd trimester). Nursing mothers.
NSAID + hypnotic (anticholinergic).
Avoid aspirin or other pain relievers. Increased risk of GI bleed with anticoagulants, corticosteroids, other OTC or Rx NSAID-containing products (eg, ibuprofen, naproxen, others), ≥3 alcoholic drinks/day, or prolonged use. Caution with diuretics. Additive effects with other antihistamines, anticholinergics, sedatives, tranquilizers, or any other sleep-aid.
Drowsiness, GI upset/bleed, vomit blood, feel faint, rash, redness, difficulty swallowing, symptoms of heart problems or stroke (eg, trouble breathing, chest pain, weakness, slurred speech, leg swelling), allergic reactions; discontinue if occur.
Caplets—20, 40, 80, 160
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Mood Stabilizers Associated With Increased Risk for Stroke in Bipolar Disorder
- Patients With Schizophrenia May Benefit From Occupational Therapy
- FDA Committees Vote on Opioid System Modulator for MDD Treatment
- Minocycline vs Routine Care for Clinical Symptom Improvement in Schizophrenia
- Methylphenidate for ADHD Treatment May Be Associated With Low BMI
- Cardioprotective Treatment May Reduce Adverse Effects in Schizophrenia
- Opioid Use Often Persists in Workers' Compensation Claimants
- Parental Mental Disorders Linked to Work Disabilities in Offspring
- Insomnia in Borderline Personality Disorder May Increase Suicide Risk
- Mortality Rates in Parkinson Disease Psychosis With Pimavanserin, Quetiapine