ALEVE PM OTC
Generic Name and Formulations:
Naproxen sodium 220mg, diphenhydramine HCl 25mg; caplets.
Indications for ALEVE PM:
Relief of occasional sleeplessness when associated with minor aches and pains.
Take with fluids. 2 caplets at bedtime. Max 2 caplets/24hrs.
<12yrs: not recommended.
Aspirin allergy. Unless sufficient time for a full night's sleep. Immediately before or after cardiac surgery. Sleeplessness without pain. Concomitant with other diphenhydramine-containing products (including topicals).
Increased risk of severe stomach bleeding (esp. ≥60yrs old). History of GI disorders (eg, heartburn, bleeding ulcers). Respiratory disorders (eg, emphysema, bronchitis). Increased risk of heart attack or failure, and stroke (may be fatal). Hypertension. Heart disease. Recent stroke. Liver cirrhosis. Renal disease. Asthma. Glaucoma. GI or urinary obstruction. Reevaluate if pain worsens or lasts >10 days or sleeplessness persists continuously >2 weeks. Elderly. Pregnancy (avoid during 3rd trimester). Nursing mothers.
Avoid aspirin or other pain relievers. Increased risk of GI bleed with anticoagulants, corticosteroids, other OTC or Rx NSAID-containing products (eg, ibuprofen, naproxen, others), ≥3 alcoholic drinks/day, or prolonged use. Caution with diuretics. Additive effects with other antihistamines, anticholinergics, sedatives, tranquilizers, or any other sleep-aid.
NSAID + hypnotic (anticholinergic).
Drowsiness, GI upset/bleed, vomit blood, feel faint, rash, redness, difficulty swallowing, symptoms of heart problems or stroke (eg, trouble breathing, chest pain, weakness, slurred speech, leg swelling), allergic reactions; discontinue if occur.
Caplets—20, 40, 80, 160
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- FDA Approves Schizophrenia Medication With Digital Ingestion Sensor
- Increased Depression Severity Following Childhood Exposure to Adversity, Risk
- Suboptimal Neuromotor Development Related to Genetic Risk for Schizophrenia
- Effectiveness of Sertraline in Depressed Patients With Advanced Chronic Kidney Disease
- No Association Between Comorbid Anxiety Disorders, Suicide Attempts
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing Reduces PTSD Symptoms
- Micronutrients Improve Some Symptoms of ADHD
- Long-Acting Injectable Antipsychotics Delay Schizophrenia Relapse
- Transcranial Stimulation Reduces Auditory Hallucinations in Schizophrenia
- Postpartum Anxiety, Depression Reduced by Probiotics
- Tools for Effective Psychiatric Treatment for Pediatric Patients With Hearing Loss
- Decrease in Atypical Antipsychotics in Children Following Peer Review Policy Implementation
- Patient Engagement Increased by Jointly-Produced Medical Note Process
- Borderline Personality Disorder: Not Just an Adult Condition
- Prior Mental Disorders Linked to Subsequent Onset of Chronic Back or Neck Pain