New pharmacotherapies in combination with psychotherapy and counseling have proven effective in preventing relapse.
According to a study presented at the Research Society on Alcoholism, heavy drinking is associated with biological aging at a cellular level.
Two OTC supplements may improve brain function and mood control in patients diagnosed with bipolar disorder.
PTSD, depression, anxiety, and alcohol misuse among UK military personnel is difficult to reduce.
Females are also closing the gender gap with regard to health problems associated with alcohol consumption.
Acute exposure to ethanol led to antidepressant and anxiolytic behaviors in rodents for up to 24 hours.
CDC rank alcohol-attributable mortality as the third leading cause of preventable death in the United States.
One topic of criticism is the relative dearth of scientific evidence regarding the efficacy of 12-step programs.
Prdm2 contributes to key behaviors and long-term neuroadaptations associated with alcohol dependence
Compared with men, women diagnosed with AUD have higher rates of premature death due to alcohol abuse.
Basic Research Findings for the Practicing Clinician
These findings are important, as CDC rank alcohol-attributable mortality as the third leading cause of preventable death in the United States.
Researchers assessed social cognition and social problem solving abilities by employing ecologically valid scenario-based tests.
The report also sheds light on the most significant predictors of substance abuse.
Early life trauma interacts with FKBP5 genotype to predict heavy alcohol consumption in college students.
Inhibition of D1 dopamine receptors in medium spiny neurons, or excitation of D1 dopamine receptors in medium spiny neurons, of the striatum, attenuated excessive alcohol consumption in mice.
By taking better care of their health, researchers expect that LINKAGE participants will have better outcomes than usual care participants over time.
Bipolar disorder (BD) is typically characterized by recurrent episodes of mania and depression, but the connection between BD and anxiety needs to be considered.
Approximately 40% of American college students engage in binge drinking at least once in the past 2 weeks.
Alcohol consumption may reduce myocardial infarction odds, but up likelihood of atrial fibrillation.
Comprehensive measurements of drinking behavior during episodes such as binge, abstinence, and relapse are essential to reveal the factors and mechanisms that underlie alcohol abuse and dependence.
A direct causal link has been established between marital status and lower risk for development of alcohol use disorder.
Findings from study may eventually lead to expanded treatment options for binge drinking.
Researchers say previous findings don't account for those who abstain from alcohol because of illness.
Areas with more progressive policies toward lesbians and gays had fewer students engaged in binge drinking.
Reductions in sweat-related health problems, anxiety and depression, symptom severity.
Per experimental study of chronic alcohol use combined with frequent binges.
About 4% of Americans are currently battling a substance-use disorder.
Participants who had used substances such as synthetic marijuana or bath salts were also more likely to have used illicit drugs.
Although questionable research sidelined psychedelic research decades ago, recent studies indicate they may be useful as a therapy for psychiatric disorders.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- #MeToo: Helping Victims Cope With Sexual Harassment
- Clinician Insight: Exploring the Link Between Bipolar Disorder and Binge Eating Disorder
- Association Between Psychosis and Development of Dementia in Older Men
- Phonemic Verbal Advantage in Mild Cognitive Impairment May Predict Risk for Alzheimer Disease
- Psychosis Could Be a Potential Side Effect of Steroid Treatment in Kids
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Nutritional Influences on Bipolar Disorder in Children
- Old Challenges and New Directions in Managing Tardive Dyskinesia
- Early Intervention Strategies for Bipolar Disorder: Clinical Dilemmas and Directions
- Similar Rates of Childhood Trauma in Schizophrenia and Substance Use Disorders
- Psychiatric Comorbidities Increase Neurologic Disability in Multiple Sclerosis
- Self-Regulation Interventions Beneficial for Children
- Traumatic Brain Injury Associated With Increased Risk for Dementia
- Adverse Neurodevelopmental and Mental Health Outcomes in PCOS
- Depression and Sleep Disturbances: Common Bedfellows