New pharmacotherapies in combination with psychotherapy and counseling have proven effective in preventing relapse.
According to a study presented at the Research Society on Alcoholism, heavy drinking is associated with biological aging at a cellular level.
Two OTC supplements may improve brain function and mood control in patients diagnosed with bipolar disorder.
PTSD, depression, anxiety, and alcohol misuse among UK military personnel is difficult to reduce.
Females are also closing the gender gap with regard to health problems associated with alcohol consumption.
Acute exposure to ethanol led to antidepressant and anxiolytic behaviors in rodents for up to 24 hours.
CDC rank alcohol-attributable mortality as the third leading cause of preventable death in the United States.
One topic of criticism is the relative dearth of scientific evidence regarding the efficacy of 12-step programs.
Prdm2 contributes to key behaviors and long-term neuroadaptations associated with alcohol dependence
Compared with men, women diagnosed with AUD have higher rates of premature death due to alcohol abuse.
Basic Research Findings for the Practicing Clinician
These findings are important, as CDC rank alcohol-attributable mortality as the third leading cause of preventable death in the United States.
Researchers assessed social cognition and social problem solving abilities by employing ecologically valid scenario-based tests.
The report also sheds light on the most significant predictors of substance abuse.
Early life trauma interacts with FKBP5 genotype to predict heavy alcohol consumption in college students.
Inhibition of D1 dopamine receptors in medium spiny neurons, or excitation of D1 dopamine receptors in medium spiny neurons, of the striatum, attenuated excessive alcohol consumption in mice.
By taking better care of their health, researchers expect that LINKAGE participants will have better outcomes than usual care participants over time.
Bipolar disorder (BD) is typically characterized by recurrent episodes of mania and depression, but the connection between BD and anxiety needs to be considered.
Approximately 40% of American college students engage in binge drinking at least once in the past 2 weeks.
Alcohol consumption may reduce myocardial infarction odds, but up likelihood of atrial fibrillation.
Comprehensive measurements of drinking behavior during episodes such as binge, abstinence, and relapse are essential to reveal the factors and mechanisms that underlie alcohol abuse and dependence.
A direct causal link has been established between marital status and lower risk for development of alcohol use disorder.
Findings from study may eventually lead to expanded treatment options for binge drinking.
Researchers say previous findings don't account for those who abstain from alcohol because of illness.
Areas with more progressive policies toward lesbians and gays had fewer students engaged in binge drinking.
Reductions in sweat-related health problems, anxiety and depression, symptom severity.
Per experimental study of chronic alcohol use combined with frequent binges.
About 4% of Americans are currently battling a substance-use disorder.
Participants who had used substances such as synthetic marijuana or bath salts were also more likely to have used illicit drugs.
Although questionable research sidelined psychedelic research decades ago, recent studies indicate they may be useful as a therapy for psychiatric disorders.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Link Identified Between Cured Meat and Mania in Bipolar Disorder
- Suicide Attempts Associated With Sleep and Circadian Rhythm Disturbances in Bipolar Disorder
- First-Episode Delusional Disorder vs Schizophrenia: Assessment of Outcomes
- Early Risk Factors for Bipolar Disorder Found in Offspring of BD Parents
- Probiotics, Depression, and the Role of Inflammation
- The Opioid System: The Foundation for Social Risk and Reward
- Correctional Psychiatry: Challenges and Rewards
- Those Left Behind: Working With Suicide-Bereaved Families
- The Impact of Deafness on Hallucinations and Delusions
- Is Mandatory Reporting of Child Maltreatment in the Best Interests of the Child?
- Nutrition Tips for Physicians: Staying Healthy During Busy Days
- Mental Health Problems in Adolescents With HIV: Overview & Expert Interview
- Should Physicians Play a Role in Minimizing the Societal Cost of Medical Care?
- Digital Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Effective for Individuals With Insomnia
- How Do Medical Scribes Reduce EHR Documentation Burden for Physicians?