Albuterol Inhalation Soln 0.5% Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Albuterol (as sulfate) 0.5%.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Albuterol Inhalation Soln 0.5%:
By nebulizer: 2.5mg (0.5mL of 0.5% diluted to 3mL with sterile normal saline, or 3mL of 0.083%) 3–4 times daily.
Use other forms.
Avoid excessive use. Sensitivity to sympathomimetics. Discontinue if paradoxical bronchospasm or cardiovascular effects occur. Cardiovascular disease (eg, coronary insufficiency, arrhythmias, hypertension). Diabetes. Hyperthyroidism. Seizure disorders. Reevaluate periodically. Elderly. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid MAOIs, tricyclics within 14 days (increased cardiovascular effects). Oral sympathomimetics: not recommended. Antagonized by β-blockers. Monitor digoxin. Caution with other drugs that may lower serum potassium (eg, diuretics).
Tremor, nervousness, headache, dizziness, hyperactivity, insomnia, weakness, tachycardia, epistaxis, hypokalemia, throat irritation (inh), paradoxical bronchospasm; immediate hypersensitivity reactions (eg, rash, urticaria, angioedema).
Formerly known under the brand names Proventil (aerosol, soln, nebules), Ventolin (aerosol, soln, syrup).
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ADHD, Comorbid Bipolar Disorder Share Similar Neurocognitive Profiles
- Anxiety Prevention Interventions: How Effective Are They?
- Antidepressant Use and Dementia Risk in the Elderly
- Sleep Apnea Implant Device Receives FDA Approval
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Duration of Untreated Depression Predicts Depression Severity
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Cognitive Dysfunction a Sign of Prodromal Parkinson Disease
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Bipolar Depression Benefits From Midday Bright Light Therapy