Generic Name and Formulations:
Albendazole 200mg; tabs.
Impax Laboratories, Inc.
Indications for ALBENZA:
Parenchymal neurocysticercosis from active lesions due to Taenia solium (pork tapeworm). Cystic hydatid disease of the liver, lung, and peritoneum due to Echinococcus granulosus (dog tapeworm).
Adults and Children:
See literature. Take with meals. Neurocysticercosis: Give for 8–30 days. Hydatid: Give for 28-day cycle followed by a 14-day free interval, for a total of 3 cycles. <6yrs: not recommended. ≥6yrs (<60kg): 15mg/kg per day in 2 divided doses; max 800mg/day. ≥6yrs (≥60kg): 400mg twice a day.
Examine for retinal lesions first. Monitor blood and hepatic function at beginning of each 28-day cycle and at least every 2 weeks; discontinue if significant increased liver enzymes or if decreases in blood counts occur. Neurocysticercosis: may need corticosteroids during the 1st week of therapy and anticonvulsants. Pregnancy (Cat.C): obtain (–) pregnancy test first. Avoid pregnancy during or for at least 1 month after stopping; discontinue if pregnancy occurs. Nursing mothers.
Potentiated by dexamethasone, praziquantel, cimetidine. Monitor theophylline.
Abnormal liver function test, abdominal pain, GI upset, headache, dizziness, increased intracranial pressure, meningeal signs, reversible alopecia, fever; rarely: leukopenia, rash, acute renal failure, hematological reactions.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Increasing Among US Children and Adolescents
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- Antidepressant Effects of Ketamine Appear to Require Opioid System Activation
- Prazosin May Be Effective as Treatment for Alcohol Use Disorder
- Neuroimaging Markers of Bipolar Disorder Risk for At-Risk Youth
- Suicide Attempt Risk Among LGB Populations Higher Than Previously Estimated
- Residents Should Take Advantage of Paid Time Off
- Outpatient Engagement May Lower Suicide Attempts in Patients With Fibromyalgia
- Prevalence of Alzheimer Disease, Related Dementia Set to Double