Generic Name and Formulations:
Netupitant, palonosetron (as HCl); 300mg/0.5mg; hard gel caps.
Indications for AKYNZEO:
Prevention of acute and delayed nausea and vomiting due to initial and repeat courses of chemotherapy, including highly emetogenic chemotherapy.
≥18yrs: Highly emetogenic chemotherapy (including cisplatin-based): 1 cap approx. 1hr prior to chemotherapy with oral dexamethasone 12mg given 30mins before chemotherapy on Day 1, then 8mg orally once daily on Days 2–4. Anthracyclines and cyclophosphamide-based chemotherapy, or non-highly emetogenic chemotherapy: 1 cap approx. 1hr prior to chemotherapy with oral dexamethasone 12mg given 30mins prior to chemotherapy on Day 1.
<18yrs: not established.
Monitor for symptoms of serotonin syndrome; discontinue and treat if occurs. Severe hepatic or renal impairment, ESRD: avoid. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Increased risk of serotonin syndrome with concomitant other serotonergic drugs (eg, SSRIs, SNRIs, MAOIs, mirtazapine, fentanyl, lithium, tramadol, IV methylene blue). May potentiate CYP3A4 substrates (eg, dexamethasone [use reduced dose], midazolam, alprazolam, triazolam, docetaxel, paclitaxel, etoposide, irinotecan, cyclophosphamide, ifosfamide, imatinib, vinorelbine, vinblastine, vincristine); caution and monitor. Avoid concomitant strong CYP3A4 inducers (eg, rifampin). Potentiated by strong CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ketoconazole).
Substance P/NK1 receptor antagonist + 5-HT3 receptor antagonist.
Headache, asthenia, dyspepsia, fatigue, constipation, erythema; hypersensitivity reactions.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder