Generic Name and Formulations:
Biperiden HCl 2mg; tabs.
Indications for AKINETON:
Adjunct in the therapy of all forms of parkinsonism (eg, idiopathic, postencephalitic, arteriosclerotic). To control extrapyramidal disorders secondary to neuroleptic drug therapy (eg, phenothiazines).
Parkinson's disease: 2mg three or four times daily. Individualize and titrate upward to max 16mg/24 hours. Extrapyramidal disorders: 2mg one to three times daily.
Narrow angle glaucoma. Bowel obstruction. Megacolon.
Glaucoma. Prostatism. Epilepsy. Arrhythmia. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Avoid concomitant alcohol. Potentiated anticholinergic effects with drugs that have secondary anticholinergic actions (eg, narcotics analgesics, phenothiazines, tricyclic antidepressants, antiarrhythmics, antihistamines).
Anticholinergic effects (eg, dry mouth, blurred vision, drowsiness, euphoria, disorientation, urinary retention, postural hypotension, constipation, agitation, disturbed behavior); rare: generalized choreic movements, reduction in REM sleep.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Examining Rates of Long-Term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Researchers Identify Novel Potential Biomarkers for Autism
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Supported Employment vs Transitional Work in Veterans With PTSD
- Comparing Pharmacologic Treatments for Prevention of Rehospitalization in BP
- Preliminary Evidence Suggests Suicidal Thinking Is Self-Reinforcing
- Lower Fluoxetine Efficacy in Elderly Patients With Major Depressive Disorder
- Personal Health Information Found in Recycling