Generic Name and Formulations:
Biperiden HCl 2mg; tabs.
Indications for AKINETON:
Adjunct in the therapy of all forms of parkinsonism (eg, idiopathic, postencephalitic, arteriosclerotic). To control extrapyramidal disorders secondary to neuroleptic drug therapy (eg, phenothiazines).
Parkinson's disease: 2mg three or four times daily. Individualize and titrate upward to max 16mg/24 hours. Extrapyramidal disorders: 2mg one to three times daily.
Narrow angle glaucoma. Bowel obstruction. Megacolon.
Glaucoma. Prostatism. Epilepsy. Arrhythmia. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Avoid concomitant alcohol. Potentiated anticholinergic effects with drugs that have secondary anticholinergic actions (eg, narcotics analgesics, phenothiazines, tricyclic antidepressants, antiarrhythmics, antihistamines).
Anticholinergic effects (eg, dry mouth, blurred vision, drowsiness, euphoria, disorientation, urinary retention, postural hypotension, constipation, agitation, disturbed behavior); rare: generalized choreic movements, reduction in REM sleep.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder