Generic Name and Formulations:
Dipyridamole 200mg (extended-release), aspirin 25mg (immediate-release); caps.
Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals
Indications for AGGRENOX:
To reduce the risk of stroke in patients who have had transient ischemia of the brain or completed ischemic stroke due to thrombosis.
Swallow whole. 1 cap twice daily, one in the morning and one in the evening. Alternative regimen in case of intolerable headaches: switch to 1 cap at bedtime and low-dose aspirin in AM; return to usual regimen as soon as possible, usually within 1 week.
NSAID allergy. Patients with the syndrome of asthma, rhinitis, and nasal polyps. Viral infection in children/teens (risk of Reye syndrome).
Not interchangeable with individual components of aspirin and dipyridamole. Increased risk of bleeding, including GI bleed. History of active peptic ulcer, severe hepatic or renal dysfunction; avoid. Coronary artery disease. Pre-existing hypotension. Chronic, heavy alcohol use. Pregnancy (Cat.D); avoid during 3rd trimester and during labor & delivery. Nursing mothers.
Increased risk of bleeding with anticoagulants, antiplatelets, heparin, anagrelide, fibrinolytic therapy, alcohol, chronic NSAID use. Potentiates adenosine, acetazolamide, methotrexate, oral hypoglycemics. May antagonize ACE inhibitors, β-blockers, diuretics, cholinesterase inhibitors, uricosurics. May increase risk of renal dysfunction with NSAIDs. Monitor phenytoin, valproic acid, other anticonvulsants.
Headache, dyspepsia, abdominal pain, nausea, diarrhea; bleeding risk, increased liver enzymes, hepatic failure.
Hepatic. 99% protein bound.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders