Generic Name and Formulations:
Dipyridamole 200mg (extended-release), aspirin 25mg (immediate-release); caps.
Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals
Indications for AGGRENOX:
To reduce the risk of stroke in patients who have had transient ischemia of the brain or completed ischemic stroke due to thrombosis.
Swallow whole. 1 cap twice daily, one in the morning and one in the evening. Alternative regimen in case of intolerable headaches: switch to 1 cap at bedtime and low-dose aspirin in AM; return to usual regimen as soon as possible, usually within 1 week.
NSAID allergy. Patients with the syndrome of asthma, rhinitis, and nasal polyps. Viral infection in children/teens (risk of Reye syndrome).
Not interchangeable with individual components of aspirin and dipyridamole. Increased risk of bleeding, including GI bleed. History of active peptic ulcer, severe hepatic or renal dysfunction; avoid. Coronary artery disease. Pre-existing hypotension. Chronic, heavy alcohol use. Pregnancy (Cat.D); avoid during 3rd trimester and during labor & delivery. Nursing mothers.
Increased risk of bleeding with anticoagulants, antiplatelets, heparin, anagrelide, fibrinolytic therapy, alcohol, chronic NSAID use. Potentiates adenosine, acetazolamide, methotrexate, oral hypoglycemics. May antagonize ACE inhibitors, β-blockers, diuretics, cholinesterase inhibitors, uricosurics. May increase risk of renal dysfunction with NSAIDs. Monitor phenytoin, valproic acid, other anticonvulsants.
Headache, dyspepsia, abdominal pain, nausea, diarrhea; bleeding risk, increased liver enzymes, hepatic failure.
Hepatic. 99% protein bound.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Lithium Monotherapy Effective in Treating Bipolar Disorder in Children
- Computerized Training Programs for Schizophrenia Improve Cognitive Functioning
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy May Alter Suicidal Ideation in Anxiety Disorders
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Brief Impression Questionnaire Useful in Schizophrenia Diagnoses
- Autism Spectrum Disorders Associated With Depression in Young Adults
- Gestational Diabetes Associated With Increased Risk for Postpartum Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Smartphone-Based Psychoeducational Programs May Be Effective for Bipolar Disorder Management