Generic Name and Formulations:
Dipyridamole 200mg (extended-release), aspirin 25mg (immediate-release); caps.
Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals
Indications for AGGRENOX:
To reduce the risk of stroke in patients who have had transient ischemia of the brain or completed ischemic stroke due to thrombosis.
Swallow whole. 1 cap twice daily, one in the morning and one in the evening. Alternative regimen in case of intolerable headaches: switch to 1 cap at bedtime and low-dose aspirin in AM; return to usual regimen as soon as possible, usually within 1 week.
NSAID allergy. Patients with the syndrome of asthma, rhinitis, and nasal polyps. Viral infection in children/teens (risk of Reye syndrome).
Not interchangeable with individual components of aspirin and dipyridamole. Increased risk of bleeding, including GI bleed. History of active peptic ulcer, severe hepatic or renal dysfunction; avoid. Coronary artery disease. Pre-existing hypotension. Chronic, heavy alcohol use. Pregnancy (Cat.D); avoid during 3rd trimester and during labor & delivery. Nursing mothers.
Increased risk of bleeding with anticoagulants, antiplatelets, heparin, anagrelide, fibrinolytic therapy, alcohol, chronic NSAID use. Potentiates adenosine, acetazolamide, methotrexate, oral hypoglycemics. May antagonize ACE inhibitors, β-blockers, diuretics, cholinesterase inhibitors, uricosurics. May increase risk of renal dysfunction with NSAIDs. Monitor phenytoin, valproic acid, other anticonvulsants.
Headache, dyspepsia, abdominal pain, nausea, diarrhea; bleeding risk, increased liver enzymes, hepatic failure.
Hepatic. 99% protein bound.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Retirement Saving Behavior Associated With Psychological Distress
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Enhanced Vaccination Effectiveness in Older Adults Linked to Positive Mood
- Subjective Cognitive Decline Linked to Alzheimer Biomarker
- Unnecessary Costs Associated With Low-Cost, Low-Value Health Services
- Is Hypertension Linked to an Increased Risk of Dementia?