Generic Name and Formulations:
Tirofiban (as HCl monohydrate) 50mcg/mL; per bag or vial; soln for IV infusion; 250mcg/mL; per vial; soln for IV bolus.
Medicure Pharma, Inc.
Indications for AGGRASTAT:
To reduce the rate of thrombotic cardiovascular events (combined endpoint of death, MI, or refractory ischemia/repeat cardiac procedure) in patients with non-ST elevation acute coronary syndrome.
May give bolus dose via a syringe or IV pump. Administer 25mcg/kg intravenously within 5mins and then 0.15mcg/kg/min via IV infusion pump for up to 18hrs. Renal impairment (CrCl ≤60mL/min): 25mcg/kg intravenously within 5mins and then 0.075mcg/kg/min for up to 18hrs.
Within previous 30 days: active internal bleeding, bleeding diathesis, major surgery, or severe physical trauma. History of thrombocytopenia after previous tirofiban therapy.
Monitor platelet counts 6hrs after initiation and daily thereafter. If platelet decreases to <90,000/mm3, monitor to exclude pseudothrombocytopenia. Discontinue tirofiban (and heparin) if thrombocytopenia confirmed. Previous exposure to a GP IIb/IIIa blocker may increase risk of thrombocytopenia. Minimize other arterial and venous punctures, IM injections, catheter use, nasotracheal intubation to lower bleeding risk. Severe renal insufficiency. Hemodialysis. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Increased risk of bleeding with concomitant fibrinolytics, anticoagulants, antiplatelets.
Bleeding (may be fatal), pelvic pain, bradycardia, coronary artery dissection; thrombocytopenia, anaphylaxis.
Premixed bag (100mL, 250mL)—1; Premixed vial (100mL)—1; Premixed bolus vial (15mL)—1
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders