AFINITOR DISPERZ Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Everolimus 2mg, 3mg, 5mg; tabs for oral susp.
Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp
Indications for AFINITOR DISPERZ:
In adults and children with tuberous sclerosis complex (TSC) for the treatment of subependymal giant cell astrocytoma (SEGA) that requires therapeutic intervention but cannot be curatively resected.
Adults and Children:
<1yr: not recommended. Swallow tabs whole with water or use Disperz tabs administered as a suspension only. Take at the same time each day either consistently with or without food. Prepare suspension using 5mL of water in an oral syringe or 25mL of water in a drinking glass; max 10mg dose per syringe or glass. ≥1yrs: initially 4.5mg/m2 once daily. Do not combine the 2 dosage forms to achieve the desired total dose. Use therapeutic drug monitoring to guide subsequent dosing. Adjust dose at 2 week intervals as needed to achieve and maintain trough concentrations of 5–15ng/mL (see full labeling). Severe hepatic impairment: initiate at 2.5mg/m2 once daily. Concomitant strong CYP3A4/PgP inhibitors: avoid; moderate CYP3A4/PgP inhibitors: initiate at 2.5mg/m2 once daily, if CYP3A4/PgP inhibitor discontinued, after 2–3 days, return to dose used prior to initiating moderate inhibitor. Concomitant strong CYP3A4 inducers: avoid, if required, then initiate at 9mg/m2 once daily; if discontinued, then return to dose used prior to initiating strong inducer. Continue therapy until disease progression or unacceptable toxicity occurs. Dose modifications for adverse reactions, or others: see full labeling.
Allergy to other rapamycin derivatives.
Monitor for new or worsening respiratory symptoms. Increased risk of infections; some may be severe or fatal; monitor and treat promptly if occur. Pre-existing invasive fungal infections: treat before starting. Monitor for signs of wound-related complications. Peri-surgical period. Hepatic impairment (see Adult dose). Monitor CBCs, renal function, lipids, and blood glucose prior to starting and periodically thereafter. Avoid close contact with those who have received live vaccines. Pediatrics: complete childhood vaccination series according to ACIP guidelines prior to initiation. Elderly. Females of reproductive potential must use effective contraception during therapy and for 8 weeks after treatment. Pregnancy (Cat.D), nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid live vaccines. Potentiated by strong CYP3A4/PgP inhibitors (eg, ketoconazole, itraconazole, clarithromycin, atazanavir, nefazodone, saquinavir, telithromycin, ritonavir, indinavir, nelfinavir, voriconazole), grapefruit or grapefruit juice; avoid. Caution with moderate CYP3A4/PgP inhibitors (eg, amprenavir, fosamprenavir, aprepitant, erythromycin, fluconazole, verapamil, diltiazem); reduce everolimus dose if used. Antagonized by strong CYP3A4/PgP inducers (eg, phenytoin, carbamazepine, rifampin, rifabutin, rifapentine, phenobarbital), St. John's Wort; avoid.
mTOR kinase inhibitor.
Pneumonitis (interrupt, reduce dose and/or manage with corticosteroids; if severe, discontinue; may reintroduce daily dose at approx. 50% lower than previously administered), infections (discontinue if invasive systemic fungal infection develops), stomatitis (treat with non-alcoholic, non-peroxide mouthwash), diarrhea, nausea, abdominal pain, rash, fatigue, edema, fever, asthenia, cough, headache, decreased appetite; increased serum creatinine, blood glucose, lipids; decreased hemoglobin, platelets, neutrophils, serum phosphate; proteinuria, renal failure, others (see full labeling).
Hepatic (CYP3A4, 2D6), PgP.
Fecal, renal (minor).
Tabs, Disperz—28 (4 blister cards x 7 tabs)
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Duration of Untreated Depression Predicts Depression Severity
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Elevated Dopamine Synthesis Capacity Observed in Both Bipolar and Schizophrenia
- SSRI Use Associated With Increased Type 2 Diabetes Risk in Young Adults
- Specialty Physicians Experiencing Lack of Income Growth
- Improved Patient-Provider Communication Needed Following Urgent Care Visits
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV