AFEDITAB CR Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Nifedipine 30mg, 60mg; ext-rel tabs.
Indications for AFEDITAB CR:
Swallow whole. Initially 30mg once daily, titrate over 7–14 days; usual maintenance dose: 30–60mg once daily; max 90mg/day.
Aortic stenosis. Angina. Severe obstructive coronary artery disease. Heart failure. Avoid abrupt cessation. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Hypotension, angina and heart failure possible with β-blockers (esp. timolol). Potentiated by quinidine (monitor heart rate; adjust dose); diltiazem, verapamil, doxazosin, ketoconazole, itraconazole, fluconazole, cimetidine, quinupristin/dalfopristin, erythromycin, nefazodone, valproic acid, (reduce nifedipine dose); amprenavir, atazanavir, delavirine, fosamprenavir, indinavir, nelfinavir, ritonavir, grapefruit juice (avoid). Antagonized by rifampin, rifapentine, phenytoin, phenobarbitone, carbamazepine, St. John's Wort. Potentiates digoxin, tacrolimus (monitor). Antagonizes doxazosin. Hypotension possible with fentanyl. Monitor oral anticoagulants. Hyperglycemia with acarbose.
Calcium channel blocker (CCB) (dihydropyridine).
Headache, flushing/heat sensation, fatigue, dizziness, constipation, nausea, edema; rare: increased angina, acute MI.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder