AFEDITAB CR Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Nifedipine 30mg, 60mg; ext-rel tabs.
Indications for AFEDITAB CR:
Swallow whole. Initially 30mg once daily, titrate over 7–14 days; usual maintenance dose: 30–60mg once daily; max 90mg/day.
Aortic stenosis. Angina. Severe obstructive coronary artery disease. Heart failure. Avoid abrupt cessation. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Hypotension, angina and heart failure possible with β-blockers (esp. timolol). Potentiated by quinidine (monitor heart rate; adjust dose); diltiazem, verapamil, doxazosin, ketoconazole, itraconazole, fluconazole, cimetidine, quinupristin/dalfopristin, erythromycin, nefazodone, valproic acid, (reduce nifedipine dose); amprenavir, atazanavir, delavirine, fosamprenavir, indinavir, nelfinavir, ritonavir, grapefruit juice (avoid). Antagonized by rifampin, rifapentine, phenytoin, phenobarbitone, carbamazepine, St. John's Wort. Potentiates digoxin, tacrolimus (monitor). Antagonizes doxazosin. Hypotension possible with fentanyl. Monitor oral anticoagulants. Hyperglycemia with acarbose.
Calcium channel blocker (CCB) (dihydropyridine).
Headache, flushing/heat sensation, fatigue, dizziness, constipation, nausea, edema; rare: increased angina, acute MI.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Mortality Rates for Substance Use Disorders, Intentional Injuries Vary Widely By Country
- Facial Emotion Recognition Differentiates Behavioral Variant Frontotemporal Dementia From MDD
- The Challenge of Helping Uninsured Patients While Protecting Practice Finances
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed