Generic Name and Formulations:
Flunisolide 80mcg/inh; metered-dose inhaler with a built-in spacer.
Indications for AEROSPAN:
Maintenance treatment of asthma as prophylactic therapy. Limitation of use: not for relief of acute bronchospasm.
Do not use with an external spacer or holding chamber devices. ≥12yrs: initially 160mcg twice daily (approx. 12hrs apart); may increase to max 320mcg twice daily. Titrate to lowest effective dose after asthma stability achieved. Rinse mouth after use.
<6yrs: not recommended. Do not use with an external spacer or holding chamber devices. 6–11yrs: initally 80mcg twice daily (approx. 12hrs apart); may increase to max 160mcg twice daily. Titrate to lowest effective doe after asthma stability achieved. Rinse mouth after use.
Primary treatment of status asthmaticus or other acute asthma episodes where intensive measures are required.
Treat oropharyngeal candidiasis if develops. Immunosuppression. If exposed to chickenpox or measles, consider immune globulin prophylactic therapy; consider antiviral treatment if develops. Untreated tuberculosis or systemic infections. Ocular herpes simplex. Monitor for adrenal insufficiency when transferring from systemic steroids. May need supplemental systemic corticosteroids during periods of stress or a severe asthma attack. May unmask previously suppressed allergic conditions. Monitor for hypercorticism and HPA axis suppression (if occurs, discontinue gradually), growth in children, intraocular pressure, glaucoma, or cataracts. Assess bone mineral density (BMD) if risk factors exist (eg, prolonged immobilization, osteoporosis, postmenopausal, advanced age, others). Discontinue if paradoxical bronchospasm occurs; use alternative therapy. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Pharyngitis, rhinitis, headache, sinusitis, increased cough; infections, adrenal suppression, decreased BMD.
Inhalation aerosol—5.1g (60 inh), 8.9g (120 inh)
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Anxiety Prevention Interventions: How Effective Are They?
- ADHD, Comorbid Bipolar Disorder Share Similar Neurocognitive Profiles
- Antidepressant Use and Dementia Risk in the Elderly
- Risk for Adverse Outcomes With Antidepressants in Dementia
- Chronic Alcohol Use Disorder Symptoms Occur Regardless of Social Status
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Buprenorphine, Methadone Combined With CNS Depressants May Lead to SAEs
- Vagus Nerve Stimulation in HIV-Associated Depression
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- Retirement Saving Behavior Associated With Psychological Distress