Generic Name and Formulations:
Antihemophilic Factor VIII (recombinant) 250 IU, 500 IU, 1000 IU, 1500 IU, 2000 IU, 3000 IU; per vial; pwd for IV inj after reconstitution; albumin- and preservative-free.
Indications for ADVATE:
In patients with Hemophilia A: to control and prevent hemorrhagic episodes, for perioperative management, and routine prophylaxis to prevent or reduce the frequency of hemorrhagic episodes.
Adults and Children:
Dosage Required (IU) = Body Weight (kg) × Desired % Factor VIII Increase × 0.5. Infuse over ≤5 minutes (max infusion rate 10mL/min); monitor pulse; if increased significantly, reduce infusion rate or hold. Hemorrhage: Mild: obtain 20–40% FVIII increase; give every 12–24hrs for 1–3 days until resolved. Moderate: obtain 30–60% FVIII increase; give every 12–24hrs for 3 days or until pain or disability resolved. Major: obtain 60–100% FVIII increase; give every 8–24hrs until resolved. Perioperative: Minor: obtain 60–100% FVIII increase; give single bolus infusion within 1 hour of surgery, then every 12–24hrs as needed to control bleeding; Major: pre- and post-op: obtain 80–120% FVIII increase; give pre-op and maintenance bolus infusion, then repeat every 8–24hrs based on healing. Routine prophylaxis: give 20–40 IU/kg every other day (3–4 times weekly). Or, alternatively, an every 3rd day dosing regimen may be followed. Adjust based on response.
Mouse or hamster protein sensitivity.
Not for von Willebrand's disease. Confirm Factor VIII deficiency prior to treatment. Monitor for development of Factor VIII inhibitors. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Headache, arthralgia, pyrexia, cough, nasopharyngitis, pharyngolaryngeal pain; antibody formation, hypersensitivity reactions.
Single-dose vial—1 (w. diluent, Baxject II needleless transfer device)
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder