Generic Name and Formulations:
Lixisenatide 50mcg/mL, 100mcg/mL; soln for SC inj; contains m-cresol.
Indications for ADLYXIN:
As adjunct to diet and exercise, to improve glycemic control in type 2 diabetes.
Limitations Of use:
Not studied in patients with history of unexplained pancreatitis; consider other antidiabetics. Not a substitute for insulin. Not for treating type 1 diabetes or ketoacidosis. Not recommended with concurrent short-acting insulin. Not recommended in gastroparesis.
Give by SC inj once daily within the hour prior to first meal into abdomen, thigh, or upper arm; rotate inj sites. ≥18yrs: Initially 10mcg once daily for 14 days, then 20mcg once daily.
<18yrs: not established.
Do not reuse or share pens, needles, or syringes between patients. Discontinue if hypersensitivity reaction occurs. Monitor for signs/symptoms of pancreatitis; discontinue if suspected; do not restart if confirmed. History of pancreatitis: consider alternative antidiabetics. Renal impairment or severe GI reactions: monitor when initiating or escalating doses. ESRD: not recommended. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) receptor agonist.
Increased risk of hypoglycemia with concomitant sulfonylureas or basal insulin (reduction in their doses may be needed). May affect absorption of oral drugs (delayed gastric emptying). Caution when concomitant oral drugs with narrow therapeutic ratio or that require careful monitoring. Concomitant antibiotics, APAP, other drugs dependent on threshold concentration: administer ≥1hr before Adlyxin; for oral contraceptives, take ≥1hr before or 11hrs after Adlyxin.
Nausea, vomiting, headache, diarrhea, dizziness, hypoglycemia, inj site reactions, allergic reactions; pancreatitis, renal failure, possibly antibody formation.
Starter pack—2 prefilled pens (10mcg + 20mcg); Maintenance pack—2 prefilled pens (20mcg)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Prazosin May Be Effective as Treatment for Alcohol Use Disorder
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age